autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brake Dust Problem

Im wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions how to combat a brake dust problem I have.

2009 Volvo s80

In a few sections of the rear wheels there is speckled brake dust pitted into the wheels. I tried Sonax and Iron-X and clay, none of which removed the speckles. I dont know what to try next. I dont want to use anything abrasive and risk scratching the finish.

(I tried to take pictures but I cant get the file size down while still including the detail needed)

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brake Dust Problem

Perhaps it could be tar. Your previous attempts won't do much for tar.

My next step would be CarPro Trix or Tar-X.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the spots turn color when sprayed with Iron X?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Did the spots turn color when sprayed with Iron X?
    I see where you are going here.

It turns purple. I just did a small test spot. Once it turned purple I tried to remove them with my fingernail, which worked, but I put shallow scratches in the wheel in the process.

So if we've determined that Iron-X will loosen the debris, what is abrasive enough to remove the particles but that wont drag said particles across the finish of my wheel and scratch it?

A soft toothbrush maybe? I dont want to do too much trial and error and ruin a wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post

In a few sections of the rear wheels there is speckled brake dust pitted into the wheels.
    I noticed you use of the word "pitted". Are there actually tiny pits in the surface of the wheel's paint?

I've seen German cars which dust heavily (to include a BMW I once owned) end up with spots where paint was physically pitted due to brake dust build up. Because of the damage to the paint on the wheels, all I could do was make it look as good as possible.

From what I've been told, brake dust+moisture+heat = a pretty corrosive environment.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I noticed you use of the word "pitted". Are there actually tiny pits in the surface of the wheel's paint?

I've seen German cars which dust heavily (to include a BMW I once owned) end up with spots where paint was physically pitted due to brake dust build up. Because of the damage to the paint on the wheels, all I could do was make it look as good as possible.

From what I've been told, brake dust+moisture+heat = a pretty corrosive environment.

So I went out and noticed that maybe its not "pitted" afterall. I dont see any noticable holes in the area where I just scratched off a few particles.

Now I just need to find away to get them off without scratching the wheel. I have a pressure washer too. Its one of those $100 gizmos from Sams. I wonder if the Iron-X and swipe with the pressure washer will work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    I see where you are going here.

It turns purple. I just did a small test spot. Once it turned purple I tried to remove them with my fingernail, which worked, but I put shallow scratches in the wheel in the process.

So if we've determined that Iron-X will loosen the debris, what is abrasive enough to remove the particles but that wont drag said particles across the finish of my wheel and scratch it?

A soft toothbrush maybe? I dont want to do too much trial and error and ruin a wheel.
    So now that we know it is indeed iron, perhaps try Iron X paste so that you can let it sit there and really brake it down. You may have to do several applications.

Post Thanks / Like

If its really bad, I take the wheels off and use iron-x, tar-x, pressure washer and a plastic razor for the little specs. It takes time, though.

Deluxe Long Reach Scraper and Plastic Razor Blades

Post Thanks / Like

You can see if you can buy a gallon of acid from some place,spray it on spray it off throughly,it's a acid base wheel cleaner 5 x stronger than iron x and no touching the wheel at all,that would be the most effective affordable solution to your promblem.