autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to the forum and detailing cars

Hi All

I am new to the forum, new to detailing and just detailed my new car over the weekend. I purhcased the PC7424XP Starter Kit which came with some Pads, cleaner, and Mikes book a few weeks ago. I read the book a few times, its an amazing book, very informative. I have learned a lot just lurking on here for a few hours a day from all the posts but ofcourse there are so many to go through.

So last weekend I decided it was time to detail my new 2016. I have had it for about a month and it is my daily driver.

I followed Mikes step guide to detailing a new car.

1. Wash and dry.
    2. Inspect the paint with your sense of touch and visually in bright, overhead sunlight.
    3. Iron X paint and wheels - Then re-wash to remove the Iron X residues off the paint and wheels.
    4. Clay - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
    5. Polish - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
    6. Apply either a Car Wax or a Paint Sealant

I used the following products:

Wash - P21S Conditioning Shampoo and dried with guzzler MF towel
    Post Wash - Iron X on wheels and body
    Clayed using mothers with mothers clay lube (its just the spray detailer I believe) - it did an ok job but not great as I noticed it did leave some contaminants and I had to redo it a few times or im just not good at it yet.
    Pre-wax cleaner - P21S Paint Work Cleaner applied with PC 7424XP with a white CCS pad. There were no real swirls that I could see in the paint when I put it under my work lights or out in the sun. So this seemed like the least aggressive method.
    Sealent - Klasse High Glosse Sealant - applied by hand, left on for 20 min then buffed out with MF towel (was nervous about using machine as all instructions I found said it was better to apply by hand)
    Wax - P21S Carnauba wax (Also applied by hand, left on for 30 min then buffed out with MF towel)

The whole process took me about 8 hours or so as I was working very slow and reading as I was going to ensure I did everything properly.

So that was a long story to get to my questions.

1. If I want to add another coat of the p21s wax can I just wash the car regularly, dry, then apply another coat of wax as I do drive it daily?
    2. Would it be beneficial to apply another coat of wax or just wait?
    3. Can I use the cleanser, seal and wax on my wheels? They are factory painted wheels with a clear coat.

I see other peoples photos of folks on here detailing their cars and the wow factor I see and I just dont see it on my car. It looks good but its not WOW like I see on here. Obviously it could be because I am new to this as well. I will snap some photos when my phone is done charging.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to the forum and detailing cars

All of the above sounds good what color is the car,p21s in my opinion is kinda old school product you may want to top off the car with a wax that will make the paint deep souveran paste will be good dark or light good luck have fun!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will try that. I honestly got the P21S detailing kit as a gift so thats what I have been using.

The car is mineral grey metallic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I created an album for the pictures here. Hopefully it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/h7bjrprvc...arrKME1tVR2KLa

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty cool.