autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie messing and need advice

Hello All-
    I have been on the forums for a long while reading and learning and finally decided to take action. I have a new vehicle and up until last night the paint has been as good as new car paint can get. When I got it from the dealer I sealed it with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, then topped with P21s, then reapply P21s as needed (about every 4 weeks). This is my first new car so I was pretty excited with the result. I have been reading about Chemical Guys Black Light and decided to give it a shot. I have had a Porter Cable 7424XP in my closet for a year scared to death to use…until last night.

I used a blue hex CG pad and prepped the pad as I have read about on the site, did a test panel on the roof let it dry, microfiber off, and all looked GREAT. Here is where I messed up…I was so excited that I took off….doing the rest of the car, letting it dry and buffing off. In the garage it looked ok until I lit the car up…Holograms all over! I am sick…through more reading today I think my biggest mistake was not cleaning the pad as I went. I did the whole car without cleaning the pad.

Here is what I am thinking; I am looking to get CG V38 and a black pad. I tried Maguire’s Ultimate polish by hand today and nothing major to report there so I am sure I am going to have to tackle with a DA. I am thinking that now I need to stop and learn. I have found a black hood at the local junk yard that I am going to try to get tomorrow and practice. Do I need to leave the V38 and black pad to the professionals or should I give this a try? Should I strip with IPA before I try to correct? Any tips or advice??? I do not know anyone who could show me as most people I speak with think I am nuts for even washing my car with two buckets and two mitts.

THANKS for the guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie messing and need advice

Welcome to AGO!!

Can you provide pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Get us some good pictures. What kind of car is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Eleven View Post
    Hello All-
    I have been on the forums for a long while reading and learning and finally decided to take action. I have a new vehicle and up until last night the paint has been as good as new car paint can get. When I got it from the dealer I sealed it with Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, then topped with P21s, then reapply P21s as needed (about every 4 weeks). This is my first new car so I was pretty excited with the result. I have been reading about Chemical Guys Black Light and decided to give it a shot. I have had a Porter Cable 7424XP in my closet for a year scared to death to use…until last night.

I used a blue hex CG pad and prepped the pad as I have read about on the site, did a test panel on the roof let it dry, microfiber off, and all looked GREAT. Here is where I messed up…I was so excited that I took off….doing the rest of the car, letting it dry and buffing off. In the garage it looked ok until I lit the car up…Holograms all over! I am sick…through more reading today I think my biggest mistake was not cleaning the pad as I went. I did the whole car without cleaning the pad.

Here is what I am thinking; I am looking to get CG V38 and a black pad. I tried Maguire’s Ultimate polish by hand today and nothing major to report there so I am sure I am going to have to tackle with a DA. I am thinking that now I need to stop and learn. I have found a black hood at the local junk yard that I am going to try to get tomorrow and practice. Do I need to leave the V38 and black pad to the professionals or should I give this a try? Should I strip with IPA before I try to correct? Any tips or advice??? I do not know anyone who could show me as most people I speak with think I am nuts for even washing my car with two buckets and two mitts.

THANKS for the guidance.
    Get some HD SPEED.

PS I tossed my last bottle of Black Light in the garbage this weekend.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

+1 HD speed

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys, I will get some pictures tomorrow.

the car is a VW GTI in Carbon Steel Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Been impressed with HD speed thus far.

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash and clay;
    Clean your pads, do another test spot. If Holograms are occurring? Reduce da speed. Try a softer pad. Keep working the worst test spot. Least aggressive first then step up to a polish or compound if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't waste effort on a practice hood. The DA is really forgiving, honestly I can't imagine what you did wrong. Meg's polish is barely abrasive at all, maybe you got some dirt embedded in the pad. I've polished lots of cars with Meg's and one pad to perfection hardly remembering to clean it It sounds like your paint could be soft. Go slow in overlapping straight lines with some ultimate compound and I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you live close to another member who can visit at your or their place. I was scared to use my DA polisher also on my new vans so I started on a 2002 never waxed work truck.I used compound(FG-400) then Medium cut 2400 and finished with Finishing Polish 3500. I am sure I did some mistakes with technique but as DragonHawk suggest the DA forgave all of them.I just was shocked that nothing happened except more shine and less scratches and swirls.I did call Auto Geek customer support for any questions not found on Their youtube channel.I also did not use any other advice except Auto Geeks to keep the processes from conflicting.Don't go to BMW for Mercedes advice.Good luck and keep at it.