autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what pads to use with Fg400 for one step

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    That Tangerine Hydrotech pad would also work well with the 3401/FG400. Overall that pad is pretty versatile. In most cases I pair it with PF2500 on either the PC, or 3401 for one steps.

I have two "polish/seals" scheduled for tomorrow.

I'm thinking of trying PF2500 on the Rupes Duetto with their yellow foam pads on it.
    Since you are the king of pads lol, how do you feel about using the hydro-techs with AIO'S cause I tried using HD speed with a cyan hydro and it just gunms up. On the other lake country flat pads orange light cutting pad it works wet.

I never used menzerna 3 in 1 with a cyan hydro from what I seen the closed cell foam technology doesn't really like the AIO HD SPEED.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    Since you are the king of pads lol, how do you feel about using the hydro-techs with AIO'S cause I tried using HD speed with a cyan hydro and it just gunms up. On the other lake country flat pads orange light cutting pad it works wet.

I never used menzerna 3 in 1 with a cyan hydro from what I seen the closed cell foam technology doesn't really like the AIO HD SPEED.
    Ha! Metallica would say I'm king nothing!

I just really enjoy pad/product pairings!

I've used the Tangerine with Megs White Wax, and the Crimson with M66, and D301. They did very good in their respective situations, but the Tangerine got gummed up a lot more because this car was older, and had more "dead stuff" on it.

I find h20 pads work best if not picking up a lot of dead paint / oxidation.

If I'm going to pick up a lot of oxidation, and paint, I would want to switch to something with a more open pore structure, like the orange, or green flat/ccs. Pink LC, and Green B&S would also be really good for that.

Just got to be weary that the pink LC, and green BS can haze the paint in certain situations.

I talked to a guy who was cutting with some type of compound with the green hex pad, and scoured the daylights out of the finish. He had a difficult time getting it out...

The white LC pads are really good for cleaner waxes too. They're probably my favorite for that application.

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

old thread, but thought I'd chime in and say that for my first go around with machine correction I'm intending to try the FG400 on never machine corrected '05 Subaru (light silver) and a '14 Kia (dark gray metallic) using a HF DA, 5.5" LC ThinPros (orange, white or black) and then hand apply Collinite 476 on one car and Finish Kare on the other.

From what I'm seeing, the FG400 should give me satisfactory daily driver results and the 476/FK waxes are pretty much the best there is for durability beyond using a ceramic coating.

I was going to try some Meg's Ultimate Compound + my wax line-up, but after seeing a Meg's demo of it on an older Honda's paint where it left considerable hazing, I decided I'd forgo that since it'll absolutely necessitate a follow-up polishing step.

Depending on how the results are, I will have HD Speed, some Duragloss products and samples of Jescar Compound and Micro Finishing Polish on hand to play with.

I want to minimize the amount of time invested while maximizing the paint cleaning and protection.

I figure if I go so far as to make the paint nearly show-car ready, I'm throwing good after bad since within a few days all that effort will be swirled away due to the environment. These cars live outside 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes pads you can use Green or Yellow, but you have to do a test spot to know what level of cut you may need!
    Professional Car Detailing in Toronto. www.rsautospa.ca - Ceramic Coating - Paint Protection Film featuring best clear bra brands from: SunTek Ultra, STEK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    old thread, but thought I'd chime in and say that for my first go around with machine correction I'm intending to try the FG400 on never machine corrected '05 Subaru (light silver) and a '14 Kia (dark gray metallic) using a HF DA, 5.5" LC ThinPros (orange, white or black) and then hand apply Collinite 476 on one car and Finish Kare on the other.

From what I'm seeing, the FG400 should give me satisfactory daily driver results and the 476/FK waxes are pretty much the best there is for durability beyond using a ceramic coating.

I was going to try some Meg's Ultimate Compound + my wax line-up, but after seeing a Meg's demo of it on an older Honda's paint where it left considerable hazing, I decided I'd forgo that since it'll absolutely necessitate a follow-up polishing step.

Depending on how the results are, I will have HD Speed, some Duragloss products and samples of Jescar Compound and Micro Finishing Polish on hand to play with.

I want to minimize the amount of time invested while maximizing the paint cleaning and protection.

I figure if I go so far as to make the paint nearly show-car ready, I'm throwing good after bad since within a few days all that effort will be swirled away due to the environment. These cars live outside 24/7.
    This Porsche was covered in swirls and water spot etching:

2015 Black Porsche Cayenne Correction with FG400 and Polish Angel Master Sealant
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

What pad were they using with the Ultimate Compound?

I follow UC with Duragloss 501 sometimes, and that will take care of any marring. HD Speed should do similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a good thread to ask this question- I want to try to one step a black Nissan Maxima with PF2500. Can you recommend a pad to try first? I have Griots thins and LC Flats to choose from. What color would you start with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    Seems like a good thread to ask this question- I want to try to one step a black Nissan Maxima with PF2500. Can you recommend a pad to try first? I have Griots thins and LC Flats to choose from. What color would you start with?
    PF2500 is a finishing polish. So, if your paint has minor swirls and scratches, it may take them out. I'd start with your least aggressive pad and do test spots working your way up in aggressiveness as per Mike Phillip's and many others recommended process.

9. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    What pad were they using with the Ultimate Compound?

I follow UC with Duragloss 501 sometimes, and that will take care of any marring. HD Speed should do similar.
    I believe they were using Meg's Super Soft pads. The thread was from several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how old that Honda was, but I just wanted to point out that the paint on my 2006 Accord is pretty hard. 6 passes each with Meg's UC and UP still left some light scratches and swirls.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast