autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forced to live with BROWN tires?

Hoytman: Tires are designed to push the browning to the surface regardless of using cleaners or not. Some bloom more than others--particularly tires that are meant to last longer. (SUV tires, truck tires, econobox tires...etc)

Nearly every car has brown tires if they aren't recently dressed. Walk down a parking lot aisle and check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
    Hoytman: Tires are designed to push the browning to the surface regardless of using cleaners or not. Some bloom more than others--particularly tires that are meant to last longer. (SUV tires, truck tires, econobox tires...etc)

Nearly every car has brown tires if they aren't recently dressed. Walk down a parking lot aisle and check it out.
    You missed my very first comment on my post. Why do you think I said I didn't buy into Dr. G's comments on cleaning? I well know exactly what you're talking about...you don't have to clean them or dress them to see them turn brown. I think all that was pretty apparent in my last comments.

EDIT:
    By the way, when you get the first initial browning off of them you can usually keep it off by simply maintaining them with Mothers or similar cleaner without dressing them for a natural black look with no browning. Key word...maintain them...over time they'll bloom more if you don't clean them as many people are aware.

As Setec said earlier, depending on the tire compound it was made from I've seen some tires always have a brown hue to them no matter how much you clean them.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I believe what Dr. G meant was if you use to strong of a cleaner you will make the tires brown at a much faster rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to get rid of the brown to have good base to start with. That way I can throw a light natural matte finish tire coating on there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the guy that mentioned lacquer thinner earlier. After reading all these posts and recommendations let me add this... I've used everything from APCs to household cleansers (think Comet) and Westley's (now Black Magic) Bleech White. I've haven't used the Mother's product or some of the others mentioned. From my experience (going back to the 1970s) the Bleech White is the most versatile and is highly effective in most cases. One word of caution though, it will etch bare alloy wheels and in some cases even stain clear-coated wheels, so be careful. In the most extreme cases when even the Bleech White is ineffective is where the lacquer thinner comes into play. When all else fails, dampen a rag with lacquer thinner and wipe the tire. I guarantee the tire will be as black as it possibly can be after the lacquer thinner treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    I believe what Dr. G meant was if you use to strong of a cleaner you will make the tires brown at a much faster rate.
    Not so sure I buy into that either, but I don't want to appear argumentative so we'll just leave it at that.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Not so sure I buy into that either, but I don't want to appear argumentative so we'll just leave it at that.
    Yea, I dont know. Im no scientist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke View Post
    Yea, I dont know. Im no scientist.
    Me either. Lol!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I cleaned my tires 3 times until no brown foam was apparent. The tires were clean, but still some brown appearance near the tread remains. IF it's in fact something added from the tire manufacturer, then the brown should eventually come completely out with repeated cleanings...
    The anti-ozonant is an additive that is designed to exude from the rubber across the life of the tire, and protect against "dry rot". If it's "completely out" then arguably the tire has reached the end of its useful life. But don't take my word for it, listen to this guy, Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1046842

The point about tire cleaners, is that some cleaners can cause the antiozonant to migrate to the surface at a faster rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I was trying to say Setec, is that you can keep the brown at bay with repeated cleanings...meaning regular weekly, or bi-weekly cleaning even with soap and water after the initial brown is gone with a stronger cleaner. I'm aware of the article and I'm aware, though I didn't state it, that the brown will continue to "exude" over the life of the tire and that it suppose to...at least that's what is claimed. This will be apparent if you don't clean the tires over time as well as they'll turn brown.

Your last comment may be true, but even at that I've never noticed Westley's (one of the strongest) to cause browning faster. It may cause them to dry faster and as a result you get black on your hands, but I've never noticed the browning to get faster. Not saying I'm right or that you're wrong or that I disagree, just stating my experiences.

I can say that the compounds in tires may be different than that of black rubber or even red rubber water hoses, but over time with either color rubber hose you'll get the according color on your hands once they start to brake down, yet they don't turn brown, rather begin to oxidize and break down. Again, the compounds may be different which causes the browning in the tires. IDK. Sometimes I wonder if the browning is more from road grime/oils than anything else. Why do I state that? I've had spare tires around the house, or seen them elsewhere as flower pots...even old tractor tires...and neither were brown, at the least were nowhere near the brown state of some tires I've seen. Some can get really bad. So with that, I really question some of the so-called reasons for browning.

One thing is for sure, whether it's from road oils or "in" (from factory) the tire coming out, if you use the wrong dressing I've certainly seen browning increase and also be a bear to remove.
    Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234