autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I bother?

I bought this 1963 Catalina in Daytona Beach last year at the Turkey Rod Run. We've gone thru the transmission, brakes, electrical and suspension so far and want to take it back down to Daytona for the rod run again this year. I bought it for its character. I like the worn look but at some point I will have it painted. The 53 year old paint of course is tired. It has some surface rust but that is OK. I've seen several people clearcoat over the "patina" but that seems like too much to go thru just to repaint in a couple years. So, I was thinking of giving it a go with the ole porter cable 7424 and some Meguires ultimate compound. I've read where you can use CLR of all things on the surface rust to remove it. But, do you all think I'd be wasting my time trying to revive 53 year old paint? It does have a couple spots where the previous owner used paint to cover something up on the drivers door but I think a red scuff pad will remedy that. Anyway, just your thoughts on what I should do, what steps and so on. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I bother?

nice car there

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO:
    Compound? NO! Definitely do not use
    a compound...anyone's compound...on
    this vehicle's paint in its current state.

Instead:
    •Wash it; and, then (maybe):
    •apply some Meguiar's M07 or M305;
    •call it a day

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Buff...... NO wouldn't be a good idea. Better would be a scuff lad, maybe two, followed with wax and grease remover. To preserve that 'look' and to keep the surface rust from kicking up a bit why not hit it with a satin finish clear?

I know the 'budget' paint shops are not known for quality paint jobs.... but 90% of that is in the prep. On that car, with *that* paint..... prepping with 3M pads then doing a GOOD panel wipe followed by a decent tape job a satin/matt clear should be economical, practical, and provide better overall protection to the surface than anything else you could apply by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

You're wasting your time doing anything beyond keeping it clean. Enjoy it the way it is until you're ready to refinish it. I love old Pontiac's!

Whenever you refinish the car the first step will be to strip the old finish and any type of clear you apply now will make stripping it more work later.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with the "keep it as is for now" crowd. I think it is beautiful just the way it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Spend a couple hundred and plasti dip it with some metalizer, that would look pretty awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get it clear coated and rock that awesome patina finish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used plasti dip before and really thought about it after seeing what they did to that old chevy truck.

There is a shop not far from me and I could check into a semi clear. I guess it wouldn't be much to sand off when it comes time for a paint job. I saw a video here that was taken during a class where they had a suv that was in bad shape. They clayed it and soaked it with M7 before they started the buffing. I think Mike said that the oils in the M7 would soak into the paint to help it withstand the buffing or something like that so that was the thinking I had. For now I'm going for that old drag car look. The pictures do not show it with the new springs. I have the steel wheels with the dog dish caps to go on before I drag it down to Daytona. Thanks for the opinions. I wish I could have two of these cause I like the weathered look as well as the nice fresh look that I've seen on some of these cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT touch it! Patina's worth MORE than Plasti-dip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast