autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V

Hi,
    I recently bought this 79 Lincoln Mark V and would like to know what I should do to get the paint look a bit better.

I do have Porter Cable 7424xp polisher that I used on my other car - which was not as bad as this. Back then I followed these instructions, and used couple foam pads that came with the polisher. Should I try different pads for different products?

- Wash the car
    - Use a clay bar to remove surface dirt and overspray
    - Use a tar and bug remover to remove the tar and bugs
    - Use a good paint cleaner like Mcguires fine cut cleaner - use a foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher- polish until the shine is even over the car.
    - Use a good paint polish like Turtle Wax paint polish- use a different foam polishing pad on your orbital polisher - polish for a nice shine.
    - Use a paint glaze like Mcquires Show Car Glaze - apply very thin coat by hand. The thicker the coat, the harder to remove the residue. This will give your paint a wet look shine
    - Use a good carnuba wax like Mcguires Yellow wax professional grade or Mother's to protect the shine.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V-img_0083-jpg   Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V-img_0117-jpg   Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V-img_0119-jpg   Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V-img_0121-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlockHead View Post
    Hi,
    I recently bought this 79 Lincoln Mark V and would like to know what I should do to get the paint look a bit better.

I do have Porter Cable 7424xp polisher that I used on my other car - which was not as bad as this. Back then I followed these instructions, and used couple foam pads that came with the polisher. Should I try different pads for different products?

- Wash the car
    - Use a clay bar to remove surface dirt and overspray
    - Use a tar and bug remover to remove the tar and bugs
    - Use a good paint cleaner like Mcguires fine cut cleaner - use a foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher- polish until the shine is even over the car.
    - Use a good paint polish like Turtle Wax paint polish- use a different foam polishing pad on your orbital polisher - polish for a nice shine.
    - Use a paint glaze like Mcquires Show Car Glaze - apply very thin coat by hand. The thicker the coat, the harder to remove the residue. This will give your paint a wet look shine
    - Use a good carnuba wax like Mcguires Yellow wax professional grade or Mother's to protect the shine.

Thanks!
    This is pretty bad,so I do not know what your other car is like. I would wash the car down as good as possible. Then clay the paint. Use an iron dwelling product, rinse, then you might need to look at meguiars show car glaze #7. This is called a glaze, but it adds the oils that were lost in old, single stage paint like this. Then polish. I would go with m205 or something from 3D car care. I would not use an abrasive compound.

Since this is more of a classic, I would go with a sealent or nano coating. I like collinite 476s or I heard sonax net shield is good.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V

Here's probably everything you need to know-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html

There's even a '73 Lincoln like yours in the thread, a Mk. 3 or whatever it was in '73.