autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber washing: Vinegar/baking soda?

Quote Originally Posted by spagett View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I've already learned a lot reading through them.

My main concern here is care for MF towels that appear to be holding some detergent residue and are no longer performing as they should. I just got a wash started and will add some vinegar for the rinse cycle as recommended. As soon as I get a chance to try them out again, I'll report back with the results. My guess is they will be greatly improved as I've never used vinegar.
    Well if you can't get your towels clean, just buy new ones. That's why they make them 24/7

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of tips. Clean washer drum, residue/film can be left behind from previous use. I also found that detergent and fabric softener at back of top (dispensers) had leftover residue, once cleaned it helped. The build up was there. The washer cycle picks this up during wash.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips, yeah. That's why I'm in no hurry to retire our 25 year old pair. No metered water and fairly low gas prices mean I can't justify switching to HE.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Bosch HE front-loader a few years ago from a local independent appliance store with very competent people. They recommend to my wife that she wash the first few loads with vinegar in the softener dispenser and no detergent to rinse out the residual detergent left in the clothes from the older top-loader. That was all I needed to hear. I've been using vinegar along with an HE laundry soap ever since for all my mf's.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Vinegar rinses out, there is no lingering smell.

Mine come out smelling like vinegar sometimes. I think it has to do with HE machines using so little water.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pulled the dispenser drawer on my LG he front loader, & cleaned, nothing found of felt. All the dispensers, Detergent, Bleach, or Softener, all travel down a common, shoot or pathway. All three use the common pathway, which get added at a particular time, per the timer.

In this case putting vinegar in the Fabric Softener dispenser, the machine would "wait" till the rinse cycle to add it's contents.

So if you put the vinegar in the Detergent dispenser, the vinegar will be introduced earlier.

I'm doing a "Tub Clean" now, my manual calls for, using liquid bleach in the Detergent dispenser, & pressing "Tub Clean" button.

Detergent, bleach, fabric softener travel the same pipe or conduit pathway to the tub. Release to the tub is controlled by the timer.
    _____

Detergents "designed" for MF towels, seem to be made differently than ordinary washer detergents, therefore I think/believe using a detergent like All Free & Clear, may benefit from a vinegar rinse. Whereas special MF detergents, Like Wolfgang, or 3d/hd towel kleen (Ski2/Custmsprty) posts #7 & 8, can achieve the same results, as the vinegar rinse. Without using vinegar due to special design.

I think it may be overkill, using MF detergent + vinegar. I think it would be impossible to tell the difference. So some of this is psychological.

Thanks messrs ski2, custmsprty for the posts regarding 3d/hd towel kleen, a gallon for $18 vs approx. $18 for Wolfgang 16 oz.

This is where we need Consumers Reports, un-biased testing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    Just pulled the dispenser drawer on my LG he front loader, & cleaned, nothing found of felt. All the dispensers, Detergent, Bleach, or Softener, all travel down a common, shoot or pathway. All three use the common pathway, which get added at a particular time, per the timer.

In this case putting vinegar in the Fabric Softener dispenser, the machine would "wait" till the rinse cycle to add it's contents.

So if you put the vinegar in the Detergent dispenser, the vinegar will be introduced earlier.

I'm doing a "Tub Clean" now, my manual calls for, using liquid bleach in the Detergent dispenser, & pressing "Tub Clean" button.

Detergent, bleach, fabric softener travel the same pipe or conduit pathway to the tub. Release to the tub is controlled by the timer.
    _____

Detergents "designed" for MF towels, seem to be made differently than ordinary washer detergents, therefore I think/believe using a detergent like All Free & Clear, may benefit from a vinegar rinse. Whereas special MF detergents, Like Wolfgang, or 3d/hd towel kleen (Ski2/Custmsprty) posts #7 & 8, can achieve the same results, as the vinegar rinse. Without using vinegar due to special design.

I think it may be overkill, using MF detergent + vinegar. I think it would be impossible to tell the difference. So some of this is psychological.

Thanks messrs ski2, custmsprty for the posts regarding 3d/hd towel kleen, a gallon for $18 vs approx. $18 for Wolfgang 16 oz.

This is where we need Consumers Reports, un-biased testing
    Hey Rico the Rocket,

I believe we have this all settled out, my friend. I'll give you the vinegar in the softener depository but you have to use the vinegar. Trust me it works. If you use a "free" detergent, which you also use for regular laundry, you will be sitting pretty. My towels come out like a mothers bosom. What else can you ask for.
    Take care el hefe.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Most soaps are mildly caustic. The mildly acidic white vinegar helps neutralize any residual soap and it rinses away cleanly. Don't just go by what you think might be happening, try it out and tell me it doesn't make a difference. I've been washing the same Cobras that way for five years and they look and feel as good as new, never a single issue.
    OK I'll try it.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the answer is as simple as washing your hands before doing the windows

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Darrin, Time for Rico the science guy, I'll give my wife two batches of MF (same kind, same wear & tear) tell her to do one load, All Free & Clear + vinegar in the Soft dispenser, & the other load with Wolfgang. Using same wash cycle, hot/cold settings.

I won't know which is which, vinegar no vinegar.

After drying have my wife fold, one of each, place on the bed & whichever the cat lies on is the winner.

Does a gallon of All free cost more or less than 3d/hd towel kleen? Added bonus Wolfgang can be used to clean pads.

Take Care Amigo

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast