autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin Wash Mitt

I am looking for some answers from other detailers on why or how the Nanoskin Wash Mitt or any other claybar alternative products leave marring on paints.

I have used every type of clay lube available to see if it was a lubricity problem. Nope! I have used brand new Nanoskin mitts correctly broke in on glass before using on the paint and still get the same results. I have even used other brands, such as Optimum's Towel and the Speedy Prep Towel and yes you guessed it, marring on the paint. Now, I'd like to use the 6" Nanoskin discs but whats the point if it's going to create problems. All that being said, I'm not concerned about the marring when the customer is paying for polishing but when the customer is only paying for quick exterior without polishing I don't want to giving away a service for no profit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin Wash Mitt

My only thoughts are not enough lube or too much downward pressure. I have used several of the clay replacemeant products and haven't an issue. I normally use DoDo Born Slippery as a lube though on occasion I'll use my wash medium if pressed on time. I let the mitt, towel sponge,etc...glide over the surface with as much pressure as it takes to move it forward and back. Sorry for your troubles, hope you figure it out. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darrin. As you mentioned, I too use just enough pressure to allow the mitt to glide on the surface. I'm finding mostly Asian cars giving me the most marring but even some Chevy and Ford vehicles, so it's hard to pin point which vehicles would be best candidates for these clay replacement products to maximize efficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely feel your pain. I know for me the cars i get, most people just want a clay and wax. To do a polish would just be more than they want to spend. I have been using the nanoskin products for a while now and love how much faster and easier it is to use then clay. I really don't get any visible marring on color's other than black. but like mike said some paints mar just from looking at them.And he is so right about that.