autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots g15 or g21 over mt300

I used Griots Garage 6" DA before. I Currently still own that but had also bought Meguairs mt300 thinking that it was an upgrade I all the boys and thin foam disc. I am a hobbyist who cares for my car 09 Honda Accord Sedan.

Maybe it's just me and please any negative comments will not be taken the wrong way, but...

Is it me or is the mt300 not much of an upgrade if I use the same bp and thin foam disc on the GG?

Would it have been better to have gone with Griots new g15 or g21 as a true upgrade?

I am not in the business but just enjoy buffing cars. Is the g21 an overkill?

Should I just keep the mt300??

Not interested in Flex or rupes FYI. Nothing personal, Griots was my first DA and kind of leaning into staying in there product offerings as far as DA goes... If I conclude from this thread if I should have pulled the trigger on a more higher end product.

MANY INPUT= less questions from me please!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots g15 or g21 over mt300

if you're already have the GG6, then step to the G15/21 - that would be an upgrade (having both of the GG6 and G15 or G21 would be a killer combination!). I've also mentioned many times already, but SEMA is around the corner and I think there are going to be a few things that many are going to want...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

So the mt300 really isn't an upgrade?! I was leaning more towards the g21 with a 5" bp.

Can anyone comment on this combo vs the g15 with 5" bp in terms of smoothness vibration and correction abilities?

Also there was a person who same like me had the gg6 mt300 and returned the mt300.

I know there are guys who have multiple DAs, but I can't right now.

Even though g21 has a long throw to it I feel even if that is my only tool I can hone in on technique to work curve panels, no?!

Post Thanks / Like

the MT300 still has the 8mm throw like the GG6 though it may be more user friendly with the longer rotary like body style and a few other things. some have mentioned that it's no more powerful than the GG6 so IMO there's no use to keep both if you already have the GG6 since it already packs plenty of torque/power with the lifetime warranty and no hassle return policy if there is a problem later down the road. you can use the GG6 with a smaller backing plate for tighter areas and the G15/21 for the other larger areas...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned/used the GG6 (eqipped with a 5" backing plate) for 5 years and have been very pleased with the results and effectiveness of the GG6. However, as I get older I'm always looking for ways to make my life more pleasent and the thought of a polisher that was smooth with very little vibration and required little to no downward pressure was attractive. I purchased the G15 rather than the G21 as I felt there would be less areas that I had to resort to the GG6 with 4" pads (3.5" backing plate) for tight areas (because the orbit is smaller to get closer to protruding objects) and I just do my own cars and sometimes a friend or relative.

Well I couldn't be more pleased. G15 is smooth, so easy to use and it cut my polishing time in half on hard VW clear coat with the same pads and polish I use on the GG6 but without the requirement for downward pressure. Waiting to try the new B&S long throw polisher pads which should make it even smoother to operate.

I didn't even consider the MT300 as IMO it isn't much of an upgrade as the orbit is only 8mm (the same as the GG6).

As Visitor said a G15 with a GG6 permanantly set up for 4" (or 3") pads is a killer combo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G15 and I enjoy it very much. Does a nice job correcting. I wanted less vibration than my flex in certain instances.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the G15 or G21. Meguiars seems to still be having power cord issues with the new machine along with some other I've read about.

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing what I know now and my MT300 going out because of the power cord I would go with the G15 or G21 that you are looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have decided on the g15 based on a few factors.

I actually contacted griots garage and spoke to their wonderful technician. He thoroughly listened and evaluated my situation with what car I have and goals. He highly recommended the g15 over the g21. Sure I can achieve faster correction but he said I can't go wrong with the g15. I explained to him I was entertaining the thought of 5"bp on the g21 and he said though possible, the 6" stock bp was more designed to work in better harmony with the 21mm throw and same principle goes for 5" stock bp on a g15.

Cost wise a small difference between both 15 and 21 but I think for the weekend warrior I agreed with him!

Really this isn't new information compared to what I read in different postings but i figured I'd share what a griots technician would say invade someone are in the same boat.

I explained my same situation and desires to AG AND another reputable detailing store and they all recommended for me the g15 over the g21. That makes 3 out of 3 for g15.

Anyone against this idea?

One guy even said that gg6 can achieve mt300 results with excellent technique. But between the long throw and the flex its more of a preference in style.

Any last thoughts on this guys/ and gals?

Anyone want to sway me away from the g15?

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen731 View Post
    I think I have decided on the g15 based on a few factors.

I actually contacted griots garage and spoke to their wonderful technician. He thoroughly listened and evaluated my situation with what car I have and goals. He highly recommended the g15 over the g21. Sure I can achieve faster correction but he said I can't go wrong with the g15. I explained to him I was entertaining the thought of 5"bp on the g21 and he said though possible, the 6" stock bp was more designed to work in better harmony with the 21mm throw and same principle goes for 5" stock bp on a g15.

Cost wise a small difference between both 15 and 21 but I think for the weekend warrior I agreed with him!

Really this isn't new information compared to what I read in different postings but i figured I'd share what a griots technician would say invade someone are in the same boat.

I explained my same situation and desires to AG AND another reputable detailing store and they all recommended for me the g15 over the g21. That makes 3 out of 3 for g15.

Anyone against this idea?

One guy even said that gg6 can achieve mt300 results with excellent technique. But between the long throw and the flex its more of a preference in style.

Any last thoughts on this guys/ and gals?

Anyone want to sway me away from the g15?
    If you have a porter cable or a gg6

You will regret not getting the 21.

Are you only working on your car? Or are you doing this for profession.

Also what kind of car do you have?

Also you can swap the 5 inch plate on the 21 as I do it all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast