autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather Coating Removed?

I have a question regarding the coating that is applied to leather seats and steering wheels. A few months back, I was doing a pretty trashed car that had black leather seats. I sprayed leather cleaner on it and began to wipe it with a MF towel. I noticed right away that it became incredibly sticky. I pulled away and looked at the seat and you could see where there were dark black spots and light black areas that were very sticky to the touch. I looked on the towel, and it looked like some of the coating had come off. It didn't happen on any of the other seats, just the driver's.

I had the same problem last weekend with a steering wheel. As soon as I wiped the wheel, the MF stuck to it and it looked like the coating was peeling off. I stopped and heavily conditioned it back to a moisture state, but I think had I kept going I could have easily removed the entire coating. That car was trashed as well.

1. Is the coating what is coming off on my towels?
    2. Does it come off easily on cars with heavy wear?
    3. Is there a way to re-apply the coating or what does the coating consist of? I thought I read somewhere about shoe polish or something but that doesn't sound right.
    4. Could it be my cleaner? It's your basic leather specific cleaner that doesn't require dilution.
    5. Any suggestions on what to do in this case? Luckily each car was kind of a mess anyway, but they were still less than 10 years old.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather Coating Removed?

I've experienced the same thing. I believe, in my case, it was leather that was re-dyed/coated at the dealer or an interior/upholstery shop.

I used an interior cleaner and the 'coating' starting to come off...was like glue balls and was just rolling and peeling off the leather console and seat.

I switched products, went to a much more milder approach, and it was OK. It just looked like crap, so I wound up peeling the remainder of the clear off---this is on my personal car FYI.

I then went ahead and used my choice of LSP (Ultima Interior Guard) on the interior and it has been fine ever since...except that you can see the areas where the coating is missing-ever so slightly.

I don't know if the coating can be re-applied. Never looked into it.

What I learned was: always do a test spot on an inconspicuous area first!

Hope this helps you.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed APC like products make it immediately feel sticky but had better luck with products with more "soap" such as Four Star Leather cleaner but others like Mothers VLR works pretty good too for an all in one type.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever cleaned Lexus or bmw door panels with a light apc they turn green after neutralizing they return back to normal scary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I have noticed APC like products make it immediately feel sticky but had better luck with products with more "soap" such as Four Star Leather cleaner but others like Mothers VLR works pretty good too for an all in one type.
    It's not sticky due to the product, it's sticky due to the coating being gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Has anyone ever cleaned Lexus or bmw door panels with a light apc they turn green after neutralizing they return back to normal scary
    #threadhijacking

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the op s pain, I'm having a hell of a time with leather cleaning we have a love hate thing going, I'm definitely dropping my apc down to 10:1 anything else seems to take the darn colors off, maybe I'm cursed. I need to pray more b4 a job anyway.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

I dumped my leather cleaner and am trying a new brand, hopefully that will help. I really like Blue Magic Leather Conditioner, so I picked up a couple bottles of the cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

All I ever use is Meguiar's interior detailer for leather in good condition.

For leather that is really dirty, I use 1Z deep plastic cleaner. Works amazing and knock on wood, I've never had an issue.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    All I ever use is Meguiar's interior detailer for leather in good condition.

For leather that is really dirty, I use 1Z deep plastic cleaner. Works amazing and knock on wood, I've never had an issue.
    Yes I was using 1z (dangerous if left to dwell ) with good results until 1 seat it seemed to remove the color now I may change.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Could be ,redye which u can tell the leather will have a hard knot feel in certain place where the repair was,apc to strong ,too much dwell time ,are you scrubbing at all if so that's normal ur etching the top layer of the surface,try using a terry towel like the barber shop has ,not those white cheap ones u get at Home Depot,I've never cleaned a interior with a micro to much drag exhausting ,that also maybe ur promblem,are you doing this in the sun are seats warm,so many variables