autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Input / Help lol

On my Van the mirrors are a black plastic and part of the bumper is black plastic. On the mirrors the black finish has faded to a grey color and just looks dull. The bumper has done the same just not as bad. I have tried several products to bring "Life" back to them but keep failing. At this point I don't want to buy another product that is not going to do it so any help that you all can give would be great. Plus the last product that I used on the bumper left a white wax like dried residue. Also on a side note....I have been a long time lurker of the Fourm but just decided it was time to join as well.

By the way the GG product is what left the White Residue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Input / Help lol-mir-jpg   Input / Help lol-bumper1-jpg   Input / Help lol-cg-jpg   Input / Help lol-gg-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Input / Help lol

Usually plastic polishes are for clear plastics, not for textured trim.

You're going to need to clean the surfaces thoroughly (especially to remove that polish residue). You'll want an APC and a brush (something like a toothbrush, not too gentle but not too stiff), or you can use this:

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, best car wax remover plastic trim

I'd wash that Mothers product off with water after, despite the instructions.

You could then use a coating like GTechniq C4 or CarPro DLux (I'd do an IPA wipe before using either of those), a dye like Solution Finish or Tuff Shine Black Restore, or a trim sealant like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, or Blackfire Total Trim and Tire Sealant.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Usually plastic polishes are for clear plastics, not for textured trim.
    Dooohhhhhhh......epic fail on my part there.....that will teach me to do things when I am tired and not paying 100% attention. .

Post Thanks / Like

It's ok man, the good news is there are plenty of great products to get that trim looking great again, much better than some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a heat gun it turns it back to new for about a year.just did a trailblazer full of cladding and plastic ,somehow try to educate you're self before doing that maybe on utube or a member on the forum that also has that knowledge. Otherwise you will be dressing that stuff every week ,personally stay away from those so called products like wipe new .when you apply that stuff and you hit something ,or getting to close with a pressure washer or something of that sort and it cracks you will have a nightmare on you're hands 23 years in the detail business.fyi the same with tire coatings

Post Thanks / Like

I recently became frustrated with the lack of longevity with trim restorers and started doing some research on a good product. I have used Black Wow and it doesn't last long. Looks great when it's on but in about a week the fade is back. If you want that trim to look new again, try this:

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, black plastic restorer, trim restorer

SO FAR it has held up great and SO FAR blows away Black Wow and any other Trim restorer that I used. I saw a thread that Mike Phillips used this product and he gave a great review. It was from one of his detailing classes. Since I was low and looking for a new trim restorer; I pulled the trigger on this product.

It is different than all the other trim products I have used. It is like Black liquid and it can get messy if you are not careful (like me). But SO FAR I have to admit it is the best trim product that I have used. The reason is from how this company tackles the trim problem. AGO sells it and I would try that one.

I hope that helps. BTW, it's been about a week since I applied it and so far so good. I do know that Black Wow would be losing its effect by now.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Otherwise you will be dressing that stuff every week ,personally stay away from those so called products like wipe new .when you apply that stuff and you hit something ,or getting to close with a pressure washer or something of that sort and it cracks you will have a nightmare on you're hands 23 years in the detail business.
    Things have changed in the last 23 years. Although dyes have been around for a long time (and last a lot longer than a week, the ones that are like paint used to be considered a permanent fix...how ever long permanent is in this context), the trim sealants (which have been around for about 8 years) should give at least a month or two, and usually longer than that.

The trim coatings, which have been around for...I guess about 5 years, are capable of a year or two, although the failure mode can make recoating difficult.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (LIQUID!)?

Try a tiny bit on 'hidden area'...see if that helps. I've had pretty good luck using it on pebbly plastics.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.