autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long does a Iron-x bottle last you?

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about IronX lately.

Honestly: is this even required in the process? Have there ever been any tests or even unscientific comparisons of a car that was decontaminated with IronX + clay/nanoskin and one that was decontaminated solely with claying? Even if statistically different, does the use of IronX result in any improvements in outcome (compounding, polish, wax/sealant/coating bonding)?

I mean: sure, it looks purty on white cars, and it's obviously doing something.

Worth it?
    Yes.. At times i get away with just IronX and not having the need to Clay.

Keep in mind that the surface i'm about to IronX is already wet, so once i spray it on there, i let it sit for about 1 minute, and then use my mitt to spread it around the panels, then let sit again.

After a rinse of the IronX, the surface is smooth to the touch, and often times the baggie test as well. For DD vehicles, i will often do some clay as well.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the OP's question, my 1L bottle lasts me about 5-6 cars, this including spraying the wheels as well.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Wear gloves and try not to breath it in. that stuff wreaks havoc on ur body

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you Baggie Test both the horizontal and vertical panels

The physics of fallout causes the hood, trunk & roof to take the worst of it

Frequently the sides of the vehicle are much less contaminated and will not require an Iron Dissolving product

The Baggie Test is a great tool for convincing a potential customer that the car needs more than a Wash & Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    To answer the OP's question, my 1L bottle lasts me about 5-6 cars, this including spraying the wheels as well.
    How are you able to make the product last so long? Seeing other replies it seems to be that one bottle will last about 2 average size cars. My issue is that although I've read I need to decon the car the profit margin becomes less when your spending 10 dollars a car just on ironx. I mostly due DD cars and I will always clay them but I'm leaning towards stopping the ironx

Post Thanks / Like

Buy trix it's not as harsh smelling

Post Thanks / Like

I have only gone through one bottle, BUT I only used it on 2 peoples cars and a couple wheel jobs here and there. Both cars were smaller, Jaguar XJS and 2003 Thunderbird.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aburgeson View Post
    How are you able to make the product last so long? Seeing other replies it seems to be that one bottle will last about 2 average size cars. My issue is that although I've read I need to decon the car the profit margin becomes less when your spending 10 dollars a car just on ironx. I mostly due DD cars and I will always clay them but I'm leaning towards stopping the ironx
    He said 1L. You asked for 500mL, which is half of what he's starting with. So if he's getting 5-6 out of 1L, then math says he'd get half of that from 500mL.

- Lee

Post Thanks / Like

My bottle lasts a long time. I only use it on my $$$$ packages. For people that want just an outside wash and vac I use an APC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about IronX lately.

Honestly: is this even required in the process? Have there ever been any tests or even unscientific comparisons of a car that was decontaminated with IronX + clay/nanoskin and one that was decontaminated solely with claying? Even if statistically different, does the use of IronX result in any improvements in outcome (compounding, polish, wax/sealant/coating bonding)?

I mean: sure, it looks purty on white cars, and it's obviously doing something.

Worth it?
    It makes claying faster and easier. Rust blossoms can be very annoying to remove on white and silver cars since you see then very easily but obviously they're on all cars. For me, I have been able to use IronX a car and only use mild clay or a mild Nanoskin sponge/mitt but if I didn't use IronX then I would have to use a medium grade clay/clay substitute to remove some of the iron contamination. I could have both on me but it is much easier and faster to just spray IronX and use a sponge to spread.
    To answer your first question - no it is not required. People have done perfectly fine without it but it sure does make the job easier.

To the answer the OP:
    It really depends on the car sometimes. Age of the car, time between decon, and location where the customer lives are some of the variables that can require more or less IronX. In my experience though, I would say I average 2-4 cars with 500ml of IronX. I use a lot less than I use to. I find that spreading it with a sponge or wash mitt and doing it out of direct sunlight whenever possible really helps in using less product. If you really want to stretch your dollar I'd suggest trying to use a lot less (like maybe 100ml a car) and spread it with a sponge and let it dwell for longer and then try it a second round to see how much more - if any - it removes. Do that a few times to figure out yourself how much you really need to use and then adjust to what you need.

Also remember that if you really want to decon fast that clay substitues (ESPECIALLY the Nanoskin discs on a DA) really help speed up the process. Another thing to remember is that you don't necessarily have to use IronX to the point that the it won't turn purple if you do it again. If you do it once and just use a little and it dissolves a lot of the iron, then it will still make claying a whole lot easier and faster.

Just to throw something else in this (too long) post: I have back problems. Sometimes if I know I have a long correction ahead of me, then I always use IronX and always use TarX or Tarminator. This usually leave's calying to be no more than a 15 minute job with NS Mitt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast