autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield cleaning

For some reason on my car the windshield seems to have some sort of film that doesn't really go away with glass cleaners. I've tried a few different brands and it looks clean in sunlight then all of a sudden there is a weird streak/haze in it. This is the only car that does this when I clean the windows. Should I try a mild clay or fine polish to see if this fixes it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    For some reason on my car the windshield seems to have some sort of film that doesn't really go away with glass cleaners. I've tried a few different brands and it looks clean in sunlight then all of a sudden there is a weird streak/haze in it. This is the only car that does this when I clean the windows. Should I try a mild clay or fine polish to see if this fixes it?
    Pictures or/and an explanation of products used, and technique applied will give us a better understanding of how to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLW View Post
    Pictures or/and an explanation of products used, and technique applied will give us a better understanding of how to help you.
    I tried using Meg's Glass cleaner, Stoner's, and Optimum. I spray and clean with a waffle weave glass towel. This is the same thing I do on my other vehicles with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boostedmoose003 View Post
    I tried using Meg's Glass cleaner, Stoner's, and Optimum. I spray and clean with a waffle weave glass towel. This is the same thing I do on my other vehicles with no problems.
    Well when you drop those names, something is definitely awry but a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe the towel used has residues from a detergent?

Post Thanks / Like

Did your car come from the factory with a "fog eliminator" option for the front windshield?

I don't know too much about them but I do remember that someone else had problems with the surface coating (it is electrically conductive) making the inner surface difficult to clean.
    And once damaged the windshield had to be replaced.

I could never figure out why anyone would want something like that since I have always been satisfied with the defroster. Then I read a report about why it was created in the first place. Instant defrosting, way before the engine would produce enough heat to warm the defrost air.

Post Thanks / Like

Alcohol and a magic eraser.

Post Thanks / Like

Light polish
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

You can try a polish like has been suggested or any Cerium Oxide polish (CarPro Ceriglass for example). I've never used it, but I've seen people talk about Duragloss Nu-Glass positively as well.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it my be the towel at first because I used one I have been using for a bit and changed it to a new one and still the same. It's only on the exterior as well on my s2000. I usually never have a problem with windows but this has me baffled. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow if a fine polish doesn't do anything. Should I try a mild clay before going to a polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you drive it on the freeway much? Idle on the freeway in heavy traffic? If so, try not to drive behind city buses, semi-truck's, etc. They spew raw diesel out the exhaust when under load (heavy acceleration). The diesel gets on your windshield and makes it smeary and difficult to clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast