autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning between Full Washes

What is your routine for cleaning the exterior between full washes?

I have used detail spray and have used waterless wash spray and wipe approaches when the car has gotten just slightly dirty and dusty for periods between washes. I am in a stretch of 10 days with no rain right now so my daily driver is just getting slightly dusty.

Do you guys have any specific tips or routines? Do you prefer detail spray or a waterless wash? Do you have a specific approach for the front bumper to get rid of the heavier accumulation of bugs and dirt?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning between Full Washes

I usually don't touch it until i do my weekly wash. I know what you mean about wanting to get rid of mid week dust but if its bad enough i'll do an ONR wash or maybe hit it with my foam gun and a rinse without using a mitt. And only then i do it if it rained bad or i drove it through a dirtier than normal route etc. I usually live with the light dust or light accumulation between washes. I also understand what you're saying about a non rainy period. In our case down here in FL we get, at times, very aggressive rains that sort of power wash the crud off. But then you drive through all the crap flinging off other vehicles and their tires. The worst are construction trucks! No rain is good in a way for me but again, i know what you mean about dry dust and dirt.

I use my windshield as a gauge for whats on the cars paint. When my windshileld looks cruddier than normal mid or late week i think about maybe a rinseless wash or a foam and rinse. I figure, whats on my windshield is also covering my paint.

On my black car I keep the "touches" to a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Puckman ^^
    Hose for light dirt and power wash for heavy dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about the car.
    Is it a daily driver or garage-queen show-car?

The daily driver will collect more dirt, grime, road tar, dead bugs and bird droppings because it's exposed more. The Garage Queen may just collect dust.

Either way, here is something I've used even way before rinseless wash technology (going back to late 80's), but now have adapted the technique to more current standards and products.

2 Bucket Method (2BM), both with grit guards and a soft wash mitt. One bucket with a dilution of your favorite NR wash solution, and the other with just clear water. I'n the past I've done this method using just water. Saturate the mitt, starting from the top down. This method is best early morning or in the evening.

Then use a high grade plush MF, like Griot's Garage Speed Shine Micro Fiber Cloths, Griots Speed Shine Cloths, Griots Garage Microfiber Towels as your dry towel. Prime your dry MF with a mist of QD or NR from a spray bottle to dry the car. Then follow up with your favorite QD and a soft plush Cobra MF gold.
    Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 6 Pack

Use the black all purpose MF & spray bottle of QD or NR to do the wheels and door jambs.
    Microfiber Wheel Detailing Towel, wheel buffing towel, all wheel towel, utility towel, shop towel

It may take you longer than a quick spray and wipe, but it will look good.

This is after the method i just outlined... Proof is in the pudding:

Oh, and I can keep the roof down when using this method. And yes, those are the dry towels hanging on the head rest, and no, they didn't cause any harm.

Post Thanks / Like

I am personally very fond of waterless washing....I use UWW+ at least once a week in between washes.... I sometimes even skip a weekly wash depending how dirty the car gets from my 86 mile daily work commute....I use a lot more towels this way but it's just cool to see the car nice and clean and shiny just from using a couple spray bottles
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning between Full Washes

Puckman--when you go the route of foam gun/rinse, do you just let the vehicle air-dry then? Even windows? If so, do you struggle with water spotting?

paul_g--how long does your prescribed process usually take you on that Mustang?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mannichine View Post
    Puckman--when you go the route of foam gun/rinse, do you just let the vehicle air-dry then? Even windows? If so, do you struggle with water spotting?
    No, i use the drip method and remove as much water as possible before gently using my WWMF towels to fully dry. Then blow out all cracks, crevices, emblems etc. and final towel dry.

By not using a wash mitt to the soapy surfaces and simply rinsing it after a slight dwell period i have removed any friction passes with the wash mitt and dirt. I still "touch" the paint when i dry but never get any marring as a result.

Post Thanks / Like

I also do not touch it. I give it a full wash/interior on the weekend.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mannichine View Post

paul_g--how long does your prescribed process usually take you on that Mustang?
    Less than an hour.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    No, i use the drip method and remove as much water as possible before gently using my WWMF towels to fully dry. Then blow out all cracks, crevices, emblems etc. and final towel dry.

By not using a wash mitt to the soapy surfaces and simply rinsing it after a slight dwell period i have removed any friction passes with the wash mitt and dirt. I still "touch" the paint when i dry but never get any marring as a result.

I guess my concern with this method would be towel-drying with surface contaminants present, due to the fact that some may have been left behind from the no-touch wash stage.

Any reflections on that would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast