autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for the coating experts...

I am real close to biting the bullet and putting a coating on my DD. I currently use BF sealant and enjoy reapplying it about every 2-3 months or so. About once a year i take everything down by doing a cut and polish to remove the minor surface scratches and marring i have accumulated over the past 10-14 months. Again, this is my DD and is black to boot!

For those that are solely using a coating, do you get any marring you would like to correct before the life of the coating has been reached. In other words, say over the course of the first year of a 2 year durable coating, have you collected anything (swirls, scratches, water spots etc.) you want to cut down and polish out and either don't because the coating is still strong or do, then reapply the coating to the corrected areas?

Just curious what your paint correction schedule looks like with a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for the coating experts...

I have done this yes. Not a big deal to re apply a small area

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Billy. Yeah, even before asking the gang here i figured i wouldn't be able to delay even a mild cut down to remove what i can't stand in my paint! Just curious what others do. Thanks again.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine leaving a coating alone for what.... 1, 2 or God forbid... THREE years.

OTOH, on a DD... we have to learn not to be so OCD. So in that sense, I love coating my wife's Denali. I still end up doing a light polish to the upper portions and putting more coating on here and there, but I can ignore the thing for much longer with a coating than I can when I was running nothing more than a sealant.

FWIW... I also tend to top various coatings with whatever I feel like after washing(s), and especially after a couple months have passed. For instance, 156 or 951. Although with PBL you can use the 'booster', same difference I reckon.

Although about now.... neither of us are washing DIDDLY! Have no idea when she'll get to use her right arm again, and it'll be another week plus before I even get the MRI on this shoulder/torn bicep thing.

In the words of Yoda; Not looking good that one is.

Post Thanks / Like

I re-apply my coating every year..just because..i use CQUK. i do not occur any marring or swirls in that time frame.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

I go about 24 on an application on a coating. I don't really get any maring on he coating it's pretty durable. I 2 bucket wash and am careful how I touch the paint. If I did it easy to correct and recoat. No harder than the actual application initially.

Post Thanks / Like

I was also thinking of coating my DD. I was going to try BulletProof.

Post Thanks / Like

I refresh every year... Mostly because I like to try different types of coatings, but some of that is due to having kids with backpacks, carpooling and my own impatience in the winter!

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for offering your experience and perspectives. Because I am contemplating going the coating route on my black DD I inevitably pick up the occasional light scratch here and there. They are never from anything I do from washing and drying and more of what simply happens to touch my paint occassionally. An example of that is just last week when my son was helping me carry groceries into the house and he managed to brush up against my car in the garage.

Because i am using BFWD i find it easy to simply break out my 3" pads, some light polish and gone. Then just reapply BF to that area. I think i was dwelling on the more meticulous application of a coating and thinking it wouldn't be as easy as what i am currently doing. Sounds like once i start using a coating product i'll find it just as easy.

I also like the fact that my vehicle is a testament to my quality of work when i go assess what a new customer wants. They see my black DD and it's 90% flawless. I'd like a coating so i may not have to mess with it as often.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I do.

For example, my wife bumped up against my fender and there was a nice scratch there. Did some spot polishing and reapplied C1 and hydro2. Looks great again.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast