autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nanoskin sponge

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin sponge

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    No problem. I will put together a full review with video on them.
    Looking forward Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    I had a vehicle the other day that had so much road tar on it that it cost me an hour and a half just removing that. I'd like to find a faster way to decon all of that crap. Maybe this will help!
    Stoners Tarminator makes quick work of tar (or CarPro Tar-X).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bry28956 View Post
    Looking at getting the nano skins clay sponge and some Optimum Rinseless to use as lube. Should I get the fine grade or medium grade sponge?
    I personally prefer the Fine grade in the form of a wash mitt for my baby. When doing corrections on other's cars I use medium grade wash mitt.

I use UWW+ as my clay lube for my personal car and when doing corrections on others cars I use the leftover soapy water (Meg's hyper wash at 1oz:2gal of water) as my clay lube.

I also have the clay towel that has a larger surface area, but I didn't like the edges of the towel so I rarely use this one. My friend has the sponge and swears by it but I find the surface area to be too small (better suited for wheels and exhaust IMHO).

Post Thanks / Like

I just used the fine grade sponge today with leftover car wash soap and am very happy. I did drop it a few times but just needed to hose it off and it's clean. If it was a little bigger it would've been easier to hold. I like how there is a straight edge I can use that to decontaminate very close to the edge of the door side skirts. I did notice that moving in same direction as the pattern had more friction but I didn't notice if that removed any easier than going the other direction.

My nanoskin mitt leaves black marks on raised edges. Is it time to be replaced? It's also a bit sticky. I do prefer the sponge over the mitt.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the Nanoskin Mitt in fine grade. One can cover more surface area in less time vs. sponge.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fine grade sponge coming in this week. Plan to do the wife's car this weekend. Will report back with my impressions.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my 3rd fine grade sponge. and the newest one I recieved is very flat and has no ridges on the rubber side. Have they changed anything?

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP on this semi old thread....I'm really wanting to try this to cut A LOT of time off my wash and wax jobs, which is the majority of jobs I get, but I don't want to be marring anyone's paint.

Everyone's car that I've worked on thus far, has never been clayed before coming to me....granted they haven't been in too bad shape, I don't know if a medium sponge would be quite necessary
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

I use the NanoSkin AutoScrub Fine Wash Mitt with NanoSkin Glide. LOVE IT. I put it up there with Rinseless Washes in the "why on God's green earth did I wait so long to buy this?" product category. I don't know that I'll ever buy a coarser one, as the Fine seems to do a good enough job on all the vehicles I've detailed with it thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKorch630 View Post
    I've never used one of these, and have been thinking about getting one, as I hate to use clay. My question is, is it the same as using lube for clay?
    I love the sponges. What I do is use the wash bucket solution as a lube. I fill the sponge with soapy water and squeeze a little bit of it on the paint then flip the sponge to the clay side and clean away. It's very efficient and it does a great job. Then I just rinse the whole panel when I am done with the hose. Takes about 30 mins to do the whole vehicle that way unless there is heavy contamination that requires repeat passes.

As for fine or medium, there is usually a dual pack available with both of them. That is what I purchase. I start with fine and if it's not enough I switch to medium. If that still won't remove the contaminant, then magic eraser will do it. Just have to be ready to do a quick polish if you use the magic eraser though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast