autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

2014 Mustang paint hardness/polishing?

I am going to polish and wax a black 2014 Mustang in the next month or so for a friend. I am currently using the Meg's 5" Microfiber kit on all of my cars. Do you know if Ford's black paint will finish out good enough with that? I only have one lake county finishing pad left so if the micro fibers don't work well I won't have much of a back-up.

My 2015 Mustang is orange and doesn't show marring at all so it isn't a good comparison for me.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2014 Mustang paint hardness/polishing?

I would recommend always following up with a foam finishing pad after microfiber. Maybe you could just clean the one you do have multiple times throughout the job.

I would also recommend purchasing more pads if you plan to do this on a regular basis in the future.

5.5" thin pads are always a great choice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    I am going to polish and wax a black 2014 Mustang in the next month or so for a friend. I am currently using the Meg's 5" Microfiber kit on all of my cars. Do you know if Ford's black paint will finish out good enough with that? I only have one lake county finishing pad left so if the micro fibers don't work well I won't have much of a back-up.

My 2015 Mustang is orange and doesn't show marring at all so it isn't a good comparison for me.

Thanks

Hey Hogie,

There in a mantra we go by on the forum, " You can never have enough pads". Truly, this is as serious as a feeling about detailing, that you can have. Stock up so you will always have the right one for the job. After all, the pad is what touches the paint and having the right pad and compound, polish, & LSP respectively you will be able to correct properly and save yourself some time. You can't detail correctly if you don't have the right tools. Read Mike Phillips books, BIG help. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly understand you can't have enough pads. I learned that real quick after buying the GG6 kit that came with 1 of each. I melted my orange pad in a hurry. After following the forum regularly I have learned quite a bit since then.

This is more of a hobby for me so I haven't bothered to restock my foam pads. That and I prefer working with the MF pads due to speed of use, low heat build up, and ease of cleaning with compressed air.

Thanks for the feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    I certainly understand you can't have enough pads. I learned that real quick after buying the GG6 kit that came with 1 of each. I melted my orange pad in a hurry. After following the forum regularly I have learned quite a bit since then.

This is more of a hobby for me so I haven't bothered to restock my foam pads. That and I prefer working with the MF pads due to speed of use, low heat build up, and ease of cleaning with compressed air.

Thanks for the feedback
    Funny, I melted my first Orange pad. The heat will do that. Good luck with the MF pads. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin