autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to wash pad covered in wax?

Hi guys, just finished waxing my car using a black pad. How should I go about cleaning this pad? Wax seems hard to get out of the pad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wash pad covered in wax?

I know how much dish soap has been debated for years on how harsh it may be for various applications in detailing and i never use it except...

For cleaning waxy pads! I fill up a bucket with warm water and Dawn and toss my wax pads in it when i'm done. I then work the wax out in the bucket with my hands, take it out, spray it with APC, work it some more and toss it back in the soapy bucket. A final AND COMPLETE rinse out, spin it on my rotary to dry it out as much as possible and then bring it in the house to fully dry.

Never had a problem with that method and never had any velcro adhesion issues either.

And even after all of that, when dried it goes back into its labelled plastic ziplock and used again only for that product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I know how much dish soap has been debated for years on how harsh it may be for various applications in detailing and i never use it except...

For cleaning waxy pads! I fill up a bucket with warm water and Dawn and toss my wax pads in it when i'm done. I then work the wax out in the bucket with my hands, take it out, spray it with APC, work it some more and toss it back in the soapy bucket. A final AND COMPLETE rinse out, spin it on my rotary to dry it out as much as possible and then bring it in the house to fully dry.

Never had a problem with that method and never had any velcro adhesion issues either.

And even after all of that, when dried it goes back into its labelled plastic ziplock and used again only for that product.
    Cool, I'll try that thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Another method is to soak the pad (foam side down) in a tin plate with some Varsol or similar thinner. Then wash it out with dish soap afterward.

Post Thanks / Like

I will usually spray it down with undiluted D101 and let sit for a few minutes then rinse out best as possible. Then just let dry and put in a ziploc bag after a few days and label the bag with the type of product so that pad is now dedicated to that product. Same with sealant.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I like Richy's method too. Sounds like more of a complete removal of product. My only question or concern would be anything detrimental to the velcro adhesive with varsol or thinner? I think what your saying, Richy, is foam side down and not to include the velcro material but wonder if it seeps up anyway. Just a question...

And i'm using the red Meg's APC, wdmac, and find that may be really all i need and skip the Dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Richy's method too. Sounds like more of a complete removal of product. My only question or concern would be anything detrimental to the velcro adhesive with varsol or thinner?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AutoApollo View Post

Wax seems hard to get out of the pad

That's right! And that's a GOOD problem to have!

Think about it... if the wax rinse out easily it would rinse off your car easily and for most people that's the OPPOSITE of what they want from their effort of waxing to protect the paint on their car.

Car waxes and synthetic paint sealants are NOT water soluble.

Most compounds and polishes ARE water soluble.

So threads like yours pop up often when it comes time to wash or clean a foam wax applicator pad or a wax machine buffing pad.

Car waxes and synthetic paint sealants are formulated to resist breaking down when it rains or when you wash your car. They are lasting products whereas anytime you see a product that states it's Body Shop Safe, well it's NOT a lasting product.

The characteristics that make a wax bead up water for a long time are characteristics you DON'T want in a body shop when spraying new paint as it could cause Fish Eyes.

Just trying to point out a couple of topics in a single reply that tend to be "hot topics".

To get all the wax or most of the wax out of anything you need to use a solvent that will dissolve the specific "protection ingredients" in the brand of wax you've chosen to use.

Or some type of all purpose solvent like Ritchie mentioned.

Another option is stick with inexpensive wax applicator pads and simply toss them after you've waxed your car or place them in a plastic bag (not sealed) and keep them clean till the next time you wax your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    That's right! And that's a GOOD problem to have!

Think about it... if the wax rinse out easily it would rinse off your car easily and for most people that's the OPPOSITE of what they want from their effort of waxing to protect the paint on their car.

Car waxes and synthetic paint sealants are NOT water soluble.

Most compounds and polishes ARE water soluble.

So threads like yours pop up often when it comes time to wash or clean a foam wax applicator pad or a wax machine buffing pad.

Car waxes and synthetic paint sealants are formulated to resist breaking down when it rains or when you wash your car. They are lasting products whereas anytime you see a product that states it's Body Shop Safe, well it's NOT a lasting product.

The characteristics that make a wax bead up water for a long time are characteristics you DON'T want in a body shop when spraying new paint as it could cause Fish Eyes.

Just trying to point out a couple of topics in a single reply that tend to be "hot topics".

To get all the wax or most of the wax out of anything you need to use a solvent that will dissolve the specific "protection ingredients" in the brand of wax you've chosen to use.

Or some type of all purpose solvent like Ritchie mentioned.

Another option is stick with inexpensive wax applicator pads and simply toss them after you've waxed your car or place them in a plastic bag (not sealed) and keep them clean till the next time you wax your car.

Yeah I guess I'll just save to use it until next time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Or some type of all purpose solvent like Ritchie mentioned
    Hey Mike, so maybe a simple mineral spirit soak, followed by a wash should clear everything? I use/love Collinite and they are a BEAR to get out of pads (well they never fully get removed so I have dedicated Colli applicators). I love these and want to make sure they can endure the solvent soaks just fine
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast