autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dash Color Changed-Customer Mad!!!

I was checking a competitor out after seeing his groupon and saw he had some Yelp reviews. One of the reviews was only one star and this is what the customer said-

2/17/2015
    never never will i use this place again first MY jeep wasn't ready after 4 hours came back 4 more hours later took my jeep carpets still wet from shampooing, also they used a chemical on dash which changed the color from the original, which now i cannot get matched back to the original color, also they lost one of my original floor mats.
    I HAVE CALLED THEM NUMEROUS TIMES ONLY TO BE PUT OFF LET ME CHECK ON IT NEVER A RESPONSE FROM ANYONE I SPOKE WITH ALISHA,
    NEVER NEVER USE THEM UNLESS YOU WANT MISSING PARTS AND POSSIBLY YOUR DASH A DIFFERENT COLOR!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being in business for a little over a year I want to make sure this doesn't happen to me on a dash!!! There's no info on what color the dash was. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dash Color Changed-Customer Mad!!!

They may have used an over the counter product on the dash, or the wrong product.
    My first wipe down is with a heavily diluted DP APC. (10:1). This does not change the color. Secondly I'll go over it with Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber Protecant. This leaves a matt but clean finish. Usually I just stop with the APC wipe down.

All plastics, vinyl, rubber and leather should have a natural clean appearance, not a shine or color change. If you use products from AG, you should be fine. I have chosen to use mainly all Pinnacle products because of the great results and consistency that I expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple answer: probably an all purpose cleaner got on the dashboard by accident or carelessly used on purpose.

Better answer: your reason why should not apologize for your prices and sell quality.

Mike Phillips

First - Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Did you just find us or have you been lurking for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by C172 View Post

Being in business for a little over a year I want to make sure this doesn't happen to me on a dash!!!
    In my experience you did the best thing you could ever do to make sure this type of incident never happens to you and also the best thing you could do for your business and that's join this forum.

There's no info on what color the dash was.
    Color probably has little to do with it. The MATERIAL probably is the most important factor.

One of the changes I've seen in from car builders is the pressure to reuse and recycle materials to make new parts for their cars, I think it's safe to say plastic is a waste material being re-purposed.

So it's possible a lot of the materials being used in some cars contains recycled materials. That is to say, a "vinyl dash" in a modern car may not being the vinyl we all know and love.

I know at one time there were issues using vinyl dressings on the interiors of Toyota Prius and Nissan 350Zs back when I worked at Meguiar's because I seen the feedback coming into customer care.

Part of getting good results includes a learning curve that comes from car manufacturers introducing new materials into their cars that we have to learn to adjust to and car care product suppliers have to learn to adjust to.

The other part is to stick with brand names you know and trust. And of course, a little common sense in NOT using under the kitchen counter cleaners or other products not specifically formulated for car interiors.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
    Not me. Knock on vinyl.

Did you consider contacting this detailer in an honest manner and letting them know of the feedback that is publicly posted about them and then asking them for information as a professional courtesy so that you can learn from their mishap?

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative ^ quality of information

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies Rod73 and Paul g.

Thank you Mike Phillips
    I heard about AG while taking a detailing class at the local tech school. We once detailed an Acura TL and I could not get that dash sheen evened out. Thank goodness no color change though. I told the customer about it and he seem fine with it since he was selling the car. But it bothered me. I use professionally formulated detail products from a local detail supply house, but I'm open to other products if they work better.

York

Post Thanks / Like

This is the reason I only use dedicated products for ever part of the car. Yes it's more expensive this way but I charge for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the same as Paul_g. I use an APC diluted down to 20:1 except on leather, I have a dedicated leather cleaner for that. Has worked out ok for me so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

they used a chemical on dash which changed the color from the original, which now i cannot get matched back to the original color, also they lost one of my original floor mats.
    There's a little clue to what happened--how can you lose a floor mat? Clearly they used the same cleaner on the floor mat as the dash, but they could ditch the floor mat. They probably used bleach or something, grabbed the wheel cleaner bottle instead of the interior cleaner...who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    This is the reason I only use dedicated products for ever part of the car. Yes it's more expensive this way but I charge for it.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast