autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr. Colorchip or Langka?

Haha heck yea I would.

So thanks for the response rtexasf. So you think langka is better for deeper scratches? Even with the squeegee version of Dr colorchip that AG sells? That seems like it'd be better for filling deeper defects.
    Trent
    PRD

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    ^^ I hope that didnt happen under your ownership! Id send a lynch mob to that detailer lol
    No, not during my ownership. But I agree with you that whoever did it should be strung up by their toes.

It's taken some time, but the car actually looks very good now, with the exception of the places where the paint was scratched. Fortunately, the paint is pretty thick and it's single stage, so it corrects very nicely. The biggest hassle has been getting all of the compound residue out of all of the nooks and crannies. I'm not sure why they would do such a thing, but it looks like they removed the front trunk molding before "polishing", then replaced it without cleaning any of the residue from the lip. It took hours to clean the dried polish from inside that molding. I swear it looked like there was an entire bottle of dried polish inside the molding.

I can't imagine why anyone would perform such a poor work on any car, let alone a nice one. But apparently it's not as rare as we'd hope-- there's a recent thread here where someone hosed a Lamborghini in the process of "installing" clear film. It looked like a five year old had done the work. The pro who repaired the damage did an awesome job, but it probably cost the owner a fortune to fix something that should have never happened in the first place. Really frustrating to have to repair damage caused by incompetents who presumably charged for what basically amounts to vandalism.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. Apologies to the OP for the hijack.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem. We all understand that logic here I believe.
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

I have used quite a bit of Dr Colorchip. I have even used it ti repair a paint chip...wouldn't really call it a chip...about 3/4 an inch long and 1/2 an inch wide. You can get DC to completely fill in a scratch or chip. The only issues I've come across is sometimes the shine isn't quite as good as the paint around it. If you use a fine polish to polish the area it helps, also depends on LSP. A sealant or coating seems to help hide this more. For anything small, I would say any chip that is an 1/8 inch to a 1/4 inch from a couple feet away you wouldn't notice. I've got pictures of very large chips repaired. The only issue was the color match on the vehicle, 72 Beetle that had been repainted. With that one Dr Colorchip sent me a bottle of pure white (at no charge) so I could mix the paint myself and lighten the color.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and PoorOwner just a heads up, your not supposed to post links to competitors products...

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of what Dr. Colorchip can do. If you go this route PM me and I will give you some tips that will save you a lot of time!

I realize this isn't a scratch, but they are large deep areas. I think a scratch would be easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I am going with Dr. Colorchip simply because the defects I have aren't terribly deep, and I don't know that I care for the Blob Eliminator. Seems like it can be difficult to use. PM sent.
    Trent
    PRD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12