autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!

UGH!!! I have tiny pits everywhere on my hood, 2013 Fiat ABARTH (the BURBLE) I did a test spot with 3000 Grit paper, folllowed by MEGS 205, then MEGS UCC and final CG V38. No visible difference. Pics to follow.,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!

Is this a daily driver? Where do you live? Sand, small rocks, it happens.

My 10 yr old garage queen was the previous owners daily driver in New England.

After many compounds and getting rid of all the swirls, oxidation and layers of filler wax, I have a high gloss and pure clear-coat. With that, in the sun-light and see little spots. I have to be 1' away and use my nearsighted vision. Camera won't even get it unless I use a macro lens.

Showed it to two body guys and a fellow Detailer and all three said "live with it, you're being OCD"

At some point you need to decide on living with it or depletion of the depth of the clear coat.

Earth's surface and Mother Nature are pretty hard on our man-made toys. 😎

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good case for the chip dr

Post Thanks / Like

Nice day driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 302 View Post
    Sounds like a good case for the chip dr
    Ah, good point, they could be tiny rock chips. What I was mentioning above are just tiny pits.

If there are any in an inconspicuous area, he could try 1500 grit, then compound & polish. But it should be a very small test spot. I don't recall the name, but I watched a body guy use these little pads, about an 1" and had 1500 and 3000 grit pads on them, mainly for removing dust nibs.

Pic's would help...

Post Thanks / Like

Pics as promised, taken under a t5 5K HO light fixture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!-kimg0261-jpg   Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!-kimg0260-jpg   Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!-kimg0263-jpg   Tiny pits everywhere!!!!!!-kimg0262-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by banzaitoyota View Post
    Pics as promised, taken under a t5 5K HO light fixture

good pic's. Yup they're just as I thought, more like tiny pits or etchings.. It's probably some kind of sap etching or caused by sand particles.

Where do you live (don't need address, i.e. upstate NY, or Nevada...) This will tell a lot about environment and conditions. For example, here in the North East, we have a ton of Pine and Maple trees, thus sap... plus a lot of sand from sanders in the winter. All that sand spray in heavy traffic will cause that too.

It's common to see like this S550 I worked on. Under the Husky LED Lights, there was no denying it.
    Even after full paint correction, there were still tiny pits in the paint:

Perhaps too far down for the 3000 & Compounding you've done.
    Take some paint measurements... The only thing left to try is 1500 grit.... depends on how much clear and if you're willing to risk it.

You should get an opinion from a body shop before going to any deeper lengths such as 1500 grit.

These things can become like puzzles or problems that our brains won't let go of and will keep us up nights until we know how to fix them. That's why we're detailers. If you get to the bottom of it, please update the thread. We would like to know the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in SC, lots of pine and oak trees, car is parked outside. My drive is 30 mles thru a 300 square mile nuclear reservation Savannah River Site. My driveway is a 1/2 long sand road. DANG BITE LIGHTS in my shop!!!!

The kick in the butt is I just did a test section on my neighbors 2006 Dodge ram, 266K on and the paint felt like 400 grit sandpaper, Iron-X, Nano Cloth, Megs 205, V38 and the freaking finish is flawless. FIAT Clear must be different than Dodge, even though both made in Mexico.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes all the conditions you mention would contribute.. Trees, sand, sap etc. Don't think the nuclear reservation tho... We'd have bigger issues.

Enamel paint shows everything. Your lights are what I call truth serum. I too use LED lights and the truth hurts. Turn them off and get some rest

You could have it resprayed, wait days and wrap it on Expel or 3m
    Clear bra. The Expel is self healing, but $$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like

The reservation reference was in regards to I have 24 miles to drive thru pine forest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast