autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to ask - need starter kit recommendation

I know this gets asked a lot, but even after a lot of searching and reading other posts, I still don't know where to start. There are just too many options.

So, if anyone wants to throw in their two cents, I'd appreciate it.

Details:
    2007 Civic in Royal Blue

Overall the paint is cloudy and has what looks like water spots in some areas.

I've washed with Mothers California gold carnuba wash/wax, and clayed with a Meguairs clay bar.

I have no other detailing equipment but am interested in a mechanical polisher. I want to bring back the shine, but more importantly protect the paint and keep it looking decent. I am not worried about car shows or competition shine. The attached pictures don't show the cloudiness or spotting. The car looks a lot worse in person.

I'm looking for info on the full starter kit:
    Machine
    Pad type & #
    Polish
    Sealant
    Whatever

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sorry to ask - need starter kit recommendation

Can't go wrong with this.

Menzerna Rupes LHR 21ES Maximum Shine Kit

Enjoy the journey.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few options that seem to have everything that you're looking for.

Option one: Blackfire Porter Cable Swirl Remover Kit

Option two: Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424 Swirl-Free Kit

Option three: Menzerna Porter Cable XP Maximum Shine Kit FREE BONUS

There are a lot more options, but I chose a few that tend to have some of the more popular products. That said, someone with a lot more experience than myself will chime in and be able to give you a more definitive answer.
    '15 Mitsubishi Outlander GT

Post Thanks / Like

First welcome, if your budget allows get a rupes over a PC I have the 15 and the mini great machines. I like Wolfgang polishes, menzerna as well blackfire is also affordable. 3D is one product I would also consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afcope View Post
    I know this gets asked a lot, but even after a lot of searching and reading other posts, I still don't know where to start. There are just too many options.
    You're a brave man--because there are so many options, you will get that many opinions.

A few things, generally the products are very good today, and you'll be able to get good results with virtually any line that you choose--don't get too wrapped up in trying different brands or comparing different brands and you'll save yourself a lot of money and keep from buying a lot more stuff than you need.

Those headlights have typical Honda failure--they will need to be aggressively polished and then protected with some sort of coating--because that Civic also has a lot of black trim that fades badly, you might want to look at a product like CarPro DLux which you can use to protect both.

The paint doesn't look bad, really, at least in the pictures you've included.

Some of this depends on your budget, and the possibility that you won't actually like car detailing once you start doing it. If you have plenty of budget, you might want to start with a long throw polisher (Rupes, Griot's BOSS). If you want to start out modestly you can get more of a traditional polisher like a Porter Cable 7424XP, a Meguiar's G110, or Griot's 6" Random Orbital. An easy-to-use system for beginners is this one: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit

There's also this: Meguiars MT300 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit For best results with the microfiber pads, you will need a small air compressor for blowing the pads clean between sections.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate all of the responses. When it comes to pads, how any should I get for a civic or Subaru Outback? I like the menzerna kit-it fits my price range well.

Is there anything else critical which that kit is missing? I'd hate to get it and come up short half way through the project.

Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by afcope View Post
    I really appreciate all of the responses. When it comes to pads, how any should I get for a civic or Subaru Outback? I like the menzerna kit-it fits my price range well.

Is there anything else critical which that kit is missing? I'd hate to get it and come up short half way through the project.

Thanks again everyone.
    You will be very happy with the Menzerna Kit. IMO Menzerna carries top notch products. If you could get the Menzerna FG400 that would be a great addition to your arsenal.

As for Pads get the Orange Pads for compounding the White Pads for Polishing and the Black and Red pads for sealant or wax or both.

Get the 5" Pads. I am assuming you picked the PC7424 XP. That IMO is one of the best starter kits. I have the PC and it is still a good little DA. Whatever DA you choose the GG, Megs, Torque...etc you should get Mike Phillips Book on Show Car Detail.

That alone will teach you the art of detailing. It will tell you about hard and soft paint (your Honda is soft paint) and everything you needed to know from washing to polishing to waxing. That book alone will save you a ton of mistakes. It talks about Pads and what they can do.

If it were me...look into any polisher kit is fine. But get his book and make it your bible....PERIOD! That alone you will teach you a lot! I have his old version "The Art of Detailing" and it is still a good read for me when I am just relaxing.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I just started too, and I decided to keep it simple. I went with the Porter Cable DA, and it is a HUGE difference compared to doing this by hand. Don't consider doing it any other way.

So in order to keep it simple, I went with a tried and true option, and chose a Porter Cable kit, and then got Meguirs Ultimate line of products. You can find them at any car parts store, so its simple to pick up. Plus, you use them both by hand and by machine, and they are very forgiving. I figure to use this stuff until I learn what I don't yet know. And the Meguir's stuff is inexpensive, but very effective.

Here is what I got, which gave me everything needed to start, including towels and pads:

Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit- comes with an orange (compound), white (polish) and blue(wax) pad. Plus you get a book and two red waxing/sealant pads also. Perfect starter kit.

Meguirs Ultimate Compound

Meguirs Ultimate Polish - includes a microfiber towel

Meguirs Ultimate Liquid Wax - includes a microfiber towel

Meguirs Smooth Clay kit includes detail spray and microfiber towel.

After you do a few cars with this, you will learn what you might want to get for the next time, and see what other brands might do, before you get in over your head! Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguerobot View Post
    I just started too, and I decided to keep it simple. I went with the Porter Cable DA, and it is a HUGE difference compared to doing this by hand. Don't consider doing it any other way.

So in order to keep it simple, I went with a tried and true option, and chose a Porter Cable kit, and then got Meguirs Ultimate line of products. You can find them at any car parts store, so its simple to pick up. Plus, you use them both by hand and by machine, and they are very forgiving. I figure to use this stuff until I learn what I don't yet know. And the Meguir's stuff is inexpensive, but very effective.

Here is what I got, which gave me everything needed to start, including towels and pads:

Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit- comes with an orange (compound), white (polish) and blue(wax) pad. Plus you get a book and two red waxing/sealant pads also. Perfect starter kit.

Meguirs Ultimate Compound

Meguirs Ultimate Polish - includes a microfiber towel

Meguirs Ultimate Liquid Wax - includes a microfiber towel

Meguirs Smooth Clay kit includes detail spray and microfiber towel.

After you do a few cars with this, you will learn what you might want to get for the next time, and see what other brands might do, before you get in over your head! Have fun!
    This isn't really a bad place to start. Those products can get the job done, and offer enough flexibility and forgiveness for a beginner, and can take you farther into the craft.

I still make use of the Ultimate Line, and the PC 7424xp. At least twice per week I'm being paid to work on paint, and those products are my starting point a lot of times.

Post Thanks / Like

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast