autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a new Waterless Wash

So I've been using Opti-Clean for the past couple months and the more I use it the more I dislike it. It cleans well (even dirty wheels) and so far has kept the marring down to almost nil but it streaks like a mofo and requires too much pressure and buffing for my comfort. A big PITA on glass. I always have to follow up with a QD to remove the residue which doubles both the time and number of towels to do a quick wash. Also the dilution ratio isn't great at 1:3 and the smell is borderline unpleasant.

So my requirements are:
    1. Spray and wipe off with almost no buffing required.
    2. Good cleaning ability even on wheels.
    3. I am looking for some protection left behind so it saves having to apply a QD or LSP afterwards.
    4. Economic dilution ratio.
    5. Can be applied in a pinch (i.e. warm body panels, direct sunlight)
    6. Smells good.
    7. Compatible with ONRWW and OCW because I have gallons of both.

So far I've narrowed my choices down to a few but would like some input from people who've used these products personally:
    1. Megs D115 - Generally good reviews. The price and dilution ratio is what's holding me back. Is it just as safe to use a lower ratio like 1:8 or 1:10?
    2. Pinnacle - I like that it has carnuba in it. I use OCW and I love the combination of polymer protection and carnuba glow. My hesitation with this one is that it might require a lot of buffing?
    3. UWW+ - Very popular but somehow to me the dilution ratio seems almost too low to be a safe waterless wash and effective cleaner?

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a new Waterless Wash

Just out of curiosity, do you have the original version of Opti-Clean, or the second version? I agree it's very pricey, I got a quart of the original version on closeout for a good deal, and I hated it at first for the reasons you mentioned, but lately it's grown on me (maybe it gets better with age? lol).

I haven't used the Pinnacle but I don't think you can go wrong with the UWW+.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Chemical Guys EcoSmart, the newer reversion. I love how it cleans and the shine it leaves behind. It's not super expensive @ 16:1 dilution. Blackfire Waterless can be diluted @ 48:1, and I've read Meg's D114 can be diluted @ 128:1, which is just crazy! But D114 doesn't have leave any protection, which is good for some. But you mentioned wanting it. I've never used BF, but I think it has some sort of polymers, if I'm wrong someone will correct me here. EcoSmart has Carnuba.

The other WW I've seen that have Carnuba, or some sort of polymers are usually in the 4:1-8:1 ratio. IMHO for price vs what you get EcoSmart is a decent choice. I do want to try the BF though, 48:1's pretty sick!

I took the free class @ Meguiar's HQ, and Michael Stoops himself told me D115 can be diluted @ 8:1 just fine, I know the bottle says 4:1, but he said other wise. And frankly I'll listen to him since he knows his sh*t. Also with the EcoSmart I don't have to buff at all really, one MF to wipe it off then another to buff. I apply no more pressure than when I'm wiping it off. Also I love the smell, it reminds me of an apple candy, it's definitely easy on the nose. I haven't smelt D115 but usually Meguiar's is really on point with the scent so it probably smells really good.

If you wanna try D115 and have a Pep Boys around, right now they have it 2 bottles for $10, it's the Meg's Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, which is identical to D115 just in a RTU bottle which you can't delute, although Mike did say 8:1, so I'd imagine the RTU bottles should be dilutable 1:2 more. Anyone want to chime in here?

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried multiple waterless wash products and if I had to only purchase one product from now on I would choose the new formula Blackfire Waterless Wash. It cleans great, wipes off easy, and has a great dilution rate at 1:48.

Post Thanks / Like

UWW is a classic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you have the original version of Opti-Clean, or the second version? I agree it's very pricey, I got a quart of the original version on closeout for a good deal, and I hated it at first for the reasons you mentioned, but lately it's grown on me (maybe it gets better with age? lol).

I haven't used the Pinnacle but I don't think you can go wrong with the UWW+.
    It's the second version I think. Just bought it a few months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like to use D115 for WW when I want something that cleans and leaves behind some protection/gloss enhancing. I've used it at 1:4, 1:8, 1:15. Recommend trying at different ratios to suit your needs. Also, it works great in direct sun light.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    UWW is a classic.

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly suggest both UWW+ and D115. I love them both.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast