autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice with a fresh paint job

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have been looking around and just wanted to get some clarification and advice before proceeding. I just recently painted my motorcycle with a friend, he color sanded and buff my tins but you can still see some swirl/scratch marks when its in the garage or darker light. His method was dry 1500/ wet 1500, wet 3000 and wet 5000 followed by M86, it looks amazing but I just want to clean up those marks. So my plan was to use my craftsman polisher, but i can find a decent plate to fit it so I am looking at getting a new setup as well as use the M205 with W8207 and then followed by M205 with W9207. Also since I need a new polisher or DA and I don't do this type of work very often I was looking at the HF DA or possible a PC 7424XP or should I get a polisher and not a DA? Also I am not sure what backing plate to get or if the 7in pads would work. And advice or help is welcomed. Thanks in Advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some advice with a fresh paint job

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

When it comes to sanding operations and the wet versus dry method, the dry option will be more aggressive than the wet option. Reason being is that dry particles will not evacuate the surface as easily and will induce there own scratch pattern.

As for the marks still left in the paint, another round of sanding will need to be accomplished in order to remove them. You may be able to start off with 2K wet or damp sanding to remove them. Then move on too 3K and finally 5K if you so wish. I only perform wet or damp sanding when fixing paint.

Don't bother with your craftsman machine. It is useless.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spreader.html

Instead pick up the HF DA and some quality pads and backing plate. Since you are working on motorcycle fenders you are better off with the W8204 and W9204 pads along with Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Thanks so much for the response. I was definitely getting lost in all the products that are there. I was going back and forth with the PC 7424XP or the HF model. And thank you for clearing up the pad size. As far s the scratches go it doesn't look like its from the initial sanding job, but mainly from the travel from FL to NM. I had them played all out with a micro fiber blanket over them, but the kids didn't help much either! I will look into those pads and the compound and polish. I was looking at using the M205 Mirror Glaze Ultimate Polish and M34 Mirror Glaze Final Inspection, so should I not and use what you mentioned?

Post Thanks / Like

If your heart desires using M205 and M34 that is completely fine as well. Ultimate Polish is derived from M205.

This plate is great for attaching the Meguiar's pads mentioned above.
    Meguiars Unigrit 3 Inch Professional Backing Plate and Adaptor Kit, backing plate with adapters, meguiars backup pad, DBP3

After you get the paint polished out, I would recommend this Meguiar's product to protect the paint during the curing phase of new paint. 30 days or so is the recommended wait time before applying a dedicated protection agent such as M26.
    Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz.

M34 will be a great detailer to maintain that fresh paint as well as M26.
    Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Paste Wax is carnauba paste car wax with polymer additives for maximum longevity. Meguiars #26 High Tech Paste Car Wax is great