autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clearcoat failure ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of why I preach that repainting anything should be done only as a last resort. Simply put, even with the best materials and workmanship, aftermarket repaints do not have the same durability as factory finishes. Repainted panels/vehicles will nearly always fade/fail at a more rapid pace than their factory counterparts.

Sometimes it's better to live with a small defect, or do a very localized touch-up, rather than repairing and repainting an entire panel/vehicle. Obviously the extent of the defect or damage play a huge role in making any decision and sometimes repainting is the only viable option.

Custom jobs and show cars are exceptions as they will usually not be subjected to the same environmental conditions of daily drivers or vehicles that sit outside in the elements extensively.
    I agree. The front bumper was replaced so it needed to be done. I'm just happy that they've agreed to paint it again after almost 2 years. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Should I sand the scuffed up area on the under side of the bumper before its repainted? Any specific grade sandpaper I should use? Its a 2012 Camry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bws View Post
    Should I sand the scuffed up area on the under side of the bumper before its repainted? Any specific grade sandpaper I should use? Its a 2012 Camry.
    Is the scuffed area readily visible or is it underneath where you need to get down and look underneath to even see it? That would play into my decision.

The entire bumper cover will need to be sanded anyways as part of the normal refinishing process. I'd probably just point it out to whoever is doing the repair and ask them to address it.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=2black1s;1300046]Is the scuffed area readily visible or is it underneath where you need to get down and look underneath to even see it? That would play into my decision.

The entire bumper cover will need to be sanded anyways as part of the normal refinishing process. I'd probably just point it out to whoever is doing the repair and ask them to address it.[/

Its not visible from a standing position. If they have to sand it down themselves to do the work should I just leave it alone?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch it ,bring it back any problems from body guy ,call you're insurance some of these repair facilities are linked up by insurance and offer customer repair warranty for the life of car,if not u got a problem god luck .

Post Thanks / Like

I meant good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bws View Post
    Its not visible from a standing position. If they have to sand it down themselves to do the work should I just leave it alone?
    That's what I would do... but be sure to point out the damaged area and let them know that you would like the scrapes/gouges repaired.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

I would would prefer a ok paint repair ,rather than look at damage everyday.2 black I I understand completely but I would buy that theory if it was a dime sized dent with paint missing,he has complete clear coat failure,probably from crappy adhesion do to poor prep,or no flex additive in the clear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12