autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Rubber Mats

I was wondering if anyone out there has a secret to cleaning rubber floor mats. I will generally hit them with mild APC and a scrub brush, then power wash them. They look great until they dry and then they look very dull and streaky. I will usually end up doing that twice or sometimes I hit them with my steamer, with the same result. I'd love to spray my rubber cleaner and conditioner on there but I don't want to kill anyone. Is there something out there to bring out the color without adding slickness?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Rubber Mats

i guess it depends on what mats but i had 3D mats, which are "liner" type mats, very high quality (better than Weathertech imo in many ways). one difference between them and Weathertech is the Kagu style 3D mats have a soft rubber surface, so, somewhat similar in basic tactile feel to most OE option all weather mats. not hard plastic.

i use Optimum Tire Shine. if the mats are really dirty, i wash them with a brush and dish soap, sometimes spray them ahead of time with full strength OPC APC, then i rinse and dry accordingly. then i use my trusty cotton foamed applicator that i use for tires and rub the tire shine on there. i let it sit for a minute then buff it off with a dry junk MF. it doesn't get slick at all, even with wet soles. it simply darkens the material back to the original deep luster.

but i really must stress that it might be dependent on material. i just don't know if it would make another material slick, even when buffed with the dry MF.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone out there has a secret to cleaning rubber floor mats. I will generally hit them with mild APC and a scrub brush, then power wash them. They look great until they dry and then they look very dull and streaky. I will usually end up doing that twice or sometimes I hit them with my steamer, with the same result. I'd love to spray my rubber cleaner and conditioner on there but I don't want to kill anyone. Is there something out there to bring out the color without adding slickness?
    I clean them with an APC then treat them with this: Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253

It's the safest rubber mat dressing I've ever found. It adds just a touch of slickness, but not as much as you would think considering the deep, black finish that it creates.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Amazing Roll Off. This is my go-to for rubber mats and plastic wheel wells. I had the same problem as you with APC leaving black plastic and rubber looking dull after it dried. ARO actually leaves behind some protectant, which I think is why these parts look much better after drying compared to APC. And the protectant it leaves behind isn't slippery or anything like that so it's perfectly safe for floor mats. It is water activated, so this is how I use it:

1) rinse mats with hose (regular spray nozzle set to strong stream) to remove most of the dirt and debris.
    2) mix ARO 1:4 or even 1:8 in a spray bottle (the gallon actually says it can be mixed 8oz:5 gallons! for general cleaning!)
    3) spray mats liberally and let soak for about 60 seconds (try to have mats in the shade so the product can dwell)
    4) scrub mats with a tire brush
    5) rinse thoroughly front and back
    6) shake out remaining water and dry with a MF (set in the sun after to dry any residual water)

I'm still playing with dilution ratios to see at what point ARO starts to lose its effectiveness in cleaning as well as the nice black look when it dries. I've gone up to 1:16 and still seems to do the job. So feel free to experiment to make the gallon last even longer.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I clean them with an APC then treat them with this: Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253

It's the safest rubber mat dressing I've ever found. It adds just a touch of slickness, but not as much as you would think considering the deep, black finish that it creates.
    So it is called "Tire and Rubber Mat Dressing" on the link (above) and the top of the page it goes to. But the title on the page is just called "Tire and Rubber Dressing". There isn't any mention of it being used for mats or safe on mats. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Try Amazing Roll Off. This is my go-to for rubber mats and plastic wheel wells. I had the same problem as you with APC leaving black plastic and rubber looking dull after it dried. ARO actually leaves behind some protectant, which I think is why these parts look much better after drying compared to APC. And the protectant it leaves behind isn't slippery or anything like that so it's perfectly safe for floor mats. It is water activated, so this is how I use it:

1) rinse mats with hose (regular spray nozzle set to strong stream) to remove most of the dirt and debris.
    2) mix ARO 1:4 or even 1:8 in a spray bottle (the gallon actually says it can be mixed 8oz:5 gallons! for general cleaning!)
    3) spray mats liberally and let soak for about 60 seconds (try to have mats in the shade so the product can dwell)
    4) scrub mats with a tire brush
    5) rinse thoroughly front and back
    6) shake out remaining water and dry with a MF (set in the sun after to dry any residual water)

I'm still playing with dilution ratios to see at what point ARO starts to lose its effectiveness in cleaning as well as the nice black look when it dries. I've gone up to 1:16 and still seems to do the job. So feel free to experiment to make the gallon last even longer.
    I would NEVER SIT them in the sun to dry. That's a guarantee for them to fade. Put them in the shade to dry..... use an air compressor to help blow them dry if you have one.... use an old ratty towel of any kind to help dry them, but, don't SIT them in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I do to maintain my VW GTI branded Monster mats. It works great and keeps them in a like-new looking state.

After the dressing dries, I've never noticed them being slick at all. I will admit I've never driven on them with wet shoes immediately after application. It's always been a few day to weeks later.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So it is called "Tire and Rubber Mat Dressing" on the link (above) and the top of the page it goes to. But the title on the page is just called "Tire and Rubber Dressing". There isn't any mention of it being used for mats or safe on mats. Thoughts?
    Might have been an oversight in the copy, but on the bottle it mentions it plus I've personally used it quite a few times for that application.

Post Thanks / Like

Might have been an oversight in the copy, but on the bottle it mentions it plus I've personally used it quite a few times for that application.
    Alright, I'll pick up some of that. Dressings on mats just made me nervous, especially in a clients vehicle. I don't want to get sued.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I'll pick up some of that. Dressings on mats just made me nervous, especially in a clients vehicle. I don't want to get sued.
    I would double check with them first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast