autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mini Cooper

Post Thanks / Like

Mini Cooper

A customer dropped off a blue body with white trim Mini Cooper w/turbo. There was a time limit on getting the job done and I explained what I could do given the time limit and everything was cool. Basically my job was to clean the paint up and make it shine. I ran across a couple of issues that I could use some advice on things I came across.
    1) The dual exhaust in the middle of the back of the car left an insane amount of exhaust pollution on the trunk door. I got it basically cleaned up and showed the customer the issue. How do you guys clean years of turbo exhaust off of a car?
    2) The wheels were painted white. Cleaning the wheels was not part of the discussion. How do you guys clean years of brake dust off of white painted wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mini Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    1) The dual exhaust in the middle of the back of the car left an insane amount of exhaust pollution on the trunk door. I got it basically cleaned up and showed the customer the issue. How do you guys clean years of turbo exhaust off of a car?
    2) The wheels were painted white. Cleaning the wheels was not part of the discussion. How do you guys clean years of brake dust off of white painted wheels?
    I'll take #2 first. Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is non alkaline, ph balanced and safe for all wheel surfaces, painted, chrome, coated, etc... Rinse wheel first with water, spray it on and let it dwell for about 5 - 10 minutes... then use wheel woolies... may take some time and elbow grease, but it works wonders! Why wouldn't wheels be apart of even a basic service?

For #1, you could try Meg's #7. It has oils, cleaners and moisturizers and is more than just a show car glaze. It literally can remove stuff you wouldn't believe. Back in 1989, it's all I used on my Mustang. It's tough to work with... but may do the trick.

Another option would be Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion. But if you're in a pinch and don't have the PPCL, go with old faithful #7.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mini Cooper

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. I didn't include a thorough cleaning of the wheels because the paint was in worse condition that he thought. It's interesting when people say, "The paint's basically in good condition." Given the time restraints, which I agreed to, the priorities and process became: ONR for a wash, Iron-X, clay bar, Menzerna 3 in 1; the trim (there was a lot of oxidized plastic trim) was to be treated with Black Wow, clean the outside of the wheels, vacuum. He loved the results, and I did show him what the time limits did not allow me to do.