autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice

Hello auto geek experts. I need some advice on how to complete an interior and exterior detail more efficiently. I am a detailer and get paid 30 dollars for an interior and 30 bucks for an exterior. My question is what are some techniques and tools i can use to speed up the detailing process. What are the steps you all take as far as like what to tackle first and so on. Please any help or advice will be grateful. Thank you.
    -ramiz

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some advice

Well Im learning but I vacuum last after dusting, deep cleaning interior, glass (windshield n rear glass) dressing anything you intend to dress.
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks the only problem I would have with that is after cleaning up everything and then blowing garbage and dirt from underneath and in between the seats is that the dust and dirt would get on everything i jusr cleaned. How long does your alls interior details take? I can usually clean up a semi dirty car in about 2- 2.5 hrs

Post Thanks / Like

Thats y I mentioned vac last. As for time well I'm slow but careful but 1.5hrs tops ( I hate hate hate doing the front n rear glass I swear my arm will twist off
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DogRescuer View Post
    Thats y I mentioned vac last. As for time well I'm slow but careful but 1.5hrs tops ( I hate hate hate doing the front n rear glass I swear my arm will twist off
    Please send me a video of you detailing. I wish I could complete an interior detail that quick!!

Post Thanks / Like

1.5 hours?
    Doesn't sound very thorough, or maybe you're dealing with vehicles less than a few years old. Do you clean vents, around switches, scrub the seat belt buckles, clean the seat brackets, get the grime off the wiper and indicator switches, clean juice and coffee out the cupholder, wipe down door jambs, clean the sun visors... I'd say just in those things there we sometimes have over an hour into.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FinishingTouchA View Post
    1.5 hours?
    Doesn't sound very thorough, or maybe you're dealing with vehicles less than a few years old. Do you clean vents, around switches, scrub the seat belt buckles, clean the seat brackets, get the grime off the wiper and indicator switches, clean juice and coffee out the cupholder, wipe down door jambs, clean the sun visors... I'd say just in those things there we sometimes have over an hour into.
    Ok 2hrs and as far as not very thorough, speak for yourself.
    Steve
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok 2hrs and as far as not very thorough, speak for yourself.
    Didn't mean for it to come off like that sorry. Some markets are just different than others. I'd love if we had cars every day we could get done in less than 2 hours. But we are in a rural town and vehicles in many cases haven't been cleaned in years. Average interior here takes 3 hours. The Suburban we did today took 9, 4 of that was just extracting the carpets.
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

I too have noticed that the interior takes me longer than I would like. Its also because they are usually so trashed from NEVER being cleaned before. 2 - 2.5 hours doesnt seem so bad but if you get paid by the job instead of by the hour thats where you are getting boned.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I too have noticed that the interior takes me longer than I would like. Its also because they are usually so trashed from NEVER being cleaned before. 2 - 2.5 hours doesnt seem so bad but if you get paid by the job instead of by the hour thats where you are getting boned.
    This is why I ALWAYS inform the customer that prices on my price sheet are just to give them an idea, every vehicle is different and I quote each job when I see it.

Most interiors I rate at 30-40 an hour and exteriors I try to quote at 50-60. But even those of us OCD types sometimes miss things while quoting that end up consuming lots of time when we actually get into the work. A carpet might just look a bit dirty but is actually filled with years of dirt and when you have an extractor with a clear plastic wand you don't stop until the solution comes out clean
    FTA Website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast