autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VW Paint Help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VW Paint Help

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    I know a local place wants $1800 to prep my car and ok to cost with warranty. That seems a little steep.

Jeff
    If you buy the tools and have some patience you can do it yourself. Only be a few hundred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    Which one and with what polish? The 105 alone?

Do not use meguiars m105, it cuts extremely well but is not very user friendly.

I'm going to make some assumptions on your polisher: it's a DA with a 6" backing plate.

Most VWs I have worked on have relatively hard paint, but yours may be an exception. If it is soft, then start with a light cutting pad like lake country orange and meguiars m205 or menzerna pf2500. If that is not enough, step up to meguiars m101 or m100 or menzerna fg400 using a meguiars microfiber cutting pad.

I would also consider a coating as others have mentioned as it would seem that your sealants are not cutting it.

Are you wiping off bugs immediately?
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of clients that come to me with bug issues. These are the steps i take.
    1. Wash the car and remove all contaminants.
    2. Do a paint inspection. This is very important. You're gonna want to look over your paint surface to creat a plan of action. Swirls, chips, scratches, pay close attention to areas with bugs so you can see if they've etched into paint. After looking over the paint youll have a better understanding of what needs to be done.
    Will you need to wetsand?
    Polishing? If your paint is indeed soft take that into consideration. There is tons of info out there on both procedures.
    2. Begin restoring paint (dont forget to do a test area) Take your time. This is an important step because you wont want to coat your vehicle with imperfections.
    3. Coat it yourself (again do research researsch research). Lots of info specifically on the different types of coating. Understand the different properties of them and how they will react in your environment before deciding
    4.and most important prevention. Carry around a cleaner(made for paint), spray waxes, some microfibers. There are also lots of products out there that you can use specifically for bugs.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You all for taking the time to help me in this endeavour. It has been very frustrating and expensive.

I realize much of the answer is with trial and error and a coating may be ideal. Honestly now a days with 3 teenagers the question is time.

How do you all find the time to do this whole working and caring for a family. All our family backgrounds are different and needs are different but time is a consideration.

I also have a problem with where I live. I live in the desert and I can drive to work on the morning kill several hundred bugs there is no time to clean them off. Get off work get home and now I have etchings.

I do know this particular VW color called "shadow blue" gets extremely soft in the sun. So soft that trying to wipe off bugs in the sun with detailer and a micro fiber towel well the towel itself will leave scratches. Its that soft.

It's insane. Beautiful color. Pain in the a_s to keep up.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If time is a problem, than maybe your only option is to bring it to a professional. The only other thing i can recommend is to clear bra. Talk to a local shop. They will have a better understanding of your environment and will be able to recommend the proper products. Without actually looking at the car its hard to say which products to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a coating as well. Take the time to polish it and coat it. $1800 sounds insane to get it coated. But that is just my opinion. Hell, for that you can fly me there and I will coat it for you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12