autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Paint Help

Post Thanks / Like

VW Paint Help

Hello Folks,

I need some help here, the frustration is just getting to me so bad. Over the years I have owned numerous cars by various brands, mainly Asian cars and while some had great paint, others did not. So I moved away from Asian Cars and purchased a 2013 Shadow Blue VW GTI (rare color for a 13, the color was actually discontinued in late 2012) and the car is pictured below.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the problem, since new, I have done what the average amateur/hobbyist does: Clay Bar, 2 bucket Method Washing, Paint Sealants used: Collinite 845, Duragloss 105, CG JetSeal, I maintain with Smartwax liquid wax just because I love the stuff so easy to use has UV block and looks fabulous, I use DG Detailer weekly after a wash, I mean the basics are here.

In the almost 3 yrs I have owned this fun car I have more sealant on this car than I care to admit, I do the best that I can with it, but Something about this paint, I am not sure if it is the particular color, or just VW paint period, but it stains SO easily.

I live out in the Southern California Desert and in the summer temps average 115F for about 4 months straight. I have taken Infrared temps of my paint once I get it home and in the garage after sitting out all day in sun and average temps are around 160F. That is the roof not the hood where temps there can get a little higher.

The paint gets so soft that when I put a car "Bra" on to help with the bug issue (used sparingly and mainly for trips) it will actually leave an indentation of a line exactly where the bra was on the hood! If a bug gets on my side mirrors, Hood, Bumper or whatever it stains. It will not come off with soap, detailer, bug and tar remover, swirl remover, or polishing compounds. I usually have to go for the rubbing compounds just to get a mar off from a bug.

I live not only in the desert but a agricultural area so the bugs can be outrageous at times. I mean, I can drive to the store on a perfectly clean car, kill a few bugs, and by the time I get home 20 minutes later? They are part of the paint now.

So here is the rub, what the heck can I do? I cannot see machine polishing this car every week to get the marring off. I mean eventually that clear is going to get thin. Its a catch 22 because I want the marks off, but I need the clear for UV protection from this Desert Sun.

I realize now, that maybe a "Clear Wrap" would have been ideal when the car was new, but I am not a big fan of that stuff for LONG term use. How it comes off after 5 yrs?? Most people dont even keep their cars that long. I have used so many sealants, but I find they just are not effective. Yes they make the bugs easier to wash off, but the stains are still there which requires more machining to get off.

Can anyone help me with this? This car is a daily driven car, its not a "Garage Queen" and it gets washed weekly, and at least once a month a coat of either a wax, or a polymer based sealant gets applied. After every wash I apply DG Detailer to add gloss and durability.

I do have a D/A polisher, but I prefer to do things old school and apply by hand. There are SO MANY pads out there now a days that I am completely lost on where to even start with that. Even if I did find the right pad, compound combo, I would have to use it weekly to keep this paint up nice. Is that even safe to do?

So I am up for suggestions, any guidance you can give would be much appreciated. I apologize for the long post, just trying to get you folks as much info as I can so you can help me out.

I have attached here some photos of the stains on the hood. I know its very difficult to see under these conditions, but if you do see them, and have any ideas of what I can do, please let me know. I just want to keep my paint nice for as long as I can, just seems its dang near impossible to do.

GTI Rear Bumper after being washed in the shade (garage) and using a PH balanced car shampoo. This happens almost every week I wash the car. This is on a "Cool" surface.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is on the hood, if you look in the light area where you see the door opening in the reflection? The stains can be seen. This is every week.

[IMG][/IMG]

I could put up more photos but they are difficult to see. The rear bumper one is very easy to see. I mean just imagine having to buff those out every single week?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VW Paint Help

Polish it out as good as you want and coat it. Done. For a while anyway
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Polish it with meguiars da system, coat it with Gyeon MOHs. The coating may not last 2 years but it will outlast any sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe dry your car with Meguiars express synthetic spray wax. It can be used on wet or dry surface and in the sun if needed. I think it helps on my Opti-Coated van, and it won't cost you much to try. Sorry I don't remember the #.

Post Thanks / Like

use a microfiber cutting pad and 105. My CC loves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet may be to find a local authorized OptiCoat installer--it comes with a five year warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest exploring a coating. My Touareg is coated and the LoveBugs wash off fairly easy. It makes life much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

So what do you guys recommend? I would like to polish the car it's due anyway seeing some slight swirl action I just don't know what to buy as per pass or polish? I mean the market is flooded and this paint is soft in the sun does that make it a "soft" paint period? Just don't want to waste money or go too aggressive. May have to buy a sample kit or something.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I would suggest exploring a coating. My Touareg is coated and the LoveBugs wash off fairly easy. It makes life much easier.
    I know a local place wants $1800 to prep my car and ok to cost with warranty. That seems a little steep.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Every_detail View Post
    use a microfiber cutting pad and 105. My CC loves it.
    Which one and with what polish? The 105 alone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast