autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin Wash Mitt Findings...?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanfreak3 View Post
    How you guys store your nanoskin wash mitt after using? Also, how long will the mitt last?
    The longevity of these things is going to depend on the user I think... factor in the severity of you're paint, the amount of lube you use as friction is whats going to wear this thing out, catching edges, etc. I almost snagged and ripped the rubber coating last night on my first use... so its hard to say.

As for storing it, obviously it needs to dry... I squeezed it out a few times then just slipped it right down over the spray bottle I have my lube in which opens it up to dry inside and keeps me from having to sit it on a shelf or in a drawer taking up unnecessary space.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the fine mitt and both a fine and medium sponge. After breaking them in on the windows, as described in the instructions, I have used it on 3 different GM cars including a 2014 Silver Cruze.

Like others here are the steps I used:
    1. Wash Car - 2BM
    2. Iron-X or Sonax Fallout
    3. Use the Nanoskin - I have used Pinnacle clay lubricant, Nanoskin Glide, Nanoskin Bubble Bath (not all at the same time, pick one)
    4. Then depending on the car compound/polish/LSP

I don't use much pressure at all and as Darrin stated I rinse the mitt or sponge frequently. I also use plenty of lubricant, one of the above. I have always had good results and it has passed the baggy test with no marring.

As for storage:
    1. Rinse out thoroughly
    2. Lightly squeeze it out
    3. Let it air dry nano side up
    4. Store in a zip top bag

I have had my mitt and sponges since Spring and have used them 1/2 dozen times and they show no wear. Again as others have stated I think it will depend on how contaminated the vehicle is and how often you use them. I don't do this for a living and are not using them everyday.

I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We actually just did a 52 Chevy Sunday. Was painted about 6 months ago and this was the first wax. It had those little rust particles everywhere. We tried every clay we had (about 5 different types) as well as the Nano towels and it wouldn't get them all. I ended up using XMT 360 and a yellow Rupes pad and it still didn't get everything.

One thing I realized about the Nano towels is they seem to do a better job as they get used more. We have 2 Blue and 1 Yellow towel and have been using them for a year so far and they seem to have gotten better over the last 6 months.

But the fact is, there isn't one tool for every job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    It has been my experience that those metallic particles will not come off from claying or clay substitute. Additionally, you should never have to use excessive pressure when using a clay type product.

To remove those metallic iron particles, you need a product like IronX. That will easily and safely dissolve and remove those iron particles.

All cars accumulate those, depending on the environment the car is in, just happens to be totally visible on a white car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCD Detailing View Post
    I agree. We actually just did a 52 Chevy Sunday. Was painted about 6 months ago and this was the first wax. It had those little rust particles everywhere. We tried every clay we had (about 5 different types) as well as the Nano towels and it wouldn't get them all. I ended up using XMT 360 and a yellow Rupes pad and it still didn't get everything.

One thing I realized about the Nano towels is they seem to do a better job as they get used more. We have 2 Blue and 1 Yellow towel and have been using them for a year so far and they seem to have gotten better over the last 6 months.

But the fact is, there isn't one tool for every job.

Apparently Iron-X is the answer to these rust particles embedded in the paint...

Im going to be ordering some here soon to give a try on the remaining ones I wasn't able to get off with the nanoskin as my cars white and its very easy to see them.

Hopefully it works...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Souldetailer View Post
    Yep, first time I used it, I was flying along and hit a spot without enough lube, left little bit of the Nanoskin clay surface on the hood. Man I was pissed, but it was my own fault. I use LOTS OF lube now. See with the ease of this new invention you can do an excellent job of decontaminating. Just use, once again, a lot of lube and be thorough. Use your non claying hand to glide along the surface and check you results. IMHO I truly believe that if used properly, the Nanoskin products will nor mar you paint. Good luck, Chris

Peace,

Darrin
    I did the same thing along my wife's hood. Was moving right along and came to a screeching halt. NOT ENOUGH LUBE! At first I thought I scratched through the clear but later realized it was just the mitt that transferred over to the hood. It was a pain to get off too.

USE LOTS OF LUBE.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the towel using Reset soap and water as lube and it worked great. This was on a car that hadn't been clayed in a couple years. It might depend on the type of soap you use.
    As far as storage I clean, let dry, then put back in the original packaging. Works great for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kecko View Post
    I did the same thing along my wife's hood. Was moving right along and came to a screeching halt. NOT ENOUGH LUBE! At first I thought I scratched through the clear but later realized it was just the mitt that transferred over to the hood. It was a pain to get off too.

USE LOTS OF LUBE.

I believe I mentioned earlier but after again catching a few spots without enough lube last night it left some black marks (nanoskin) on my white paint. A tiny dab and I mean literally a drip (maybe 2) on a shope towel wrapped around my pinky took it off in one swipe.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1EdgeKilla View Post
    I believe I mentioned earlier but after again catching a few spots without enough lube last night it left some black marks (nanoskin) on my white paint. A tiny dab and I mean literally a drip (maybe 2) on a shope towel wrapped around my pinky took it off in one swipe.

Chris
    Yep, I think clay lube should not be a forgotten source, whether it's a diluted soap or cleaner or some sort. It appears we have collectively come to agreement. More is better & don't rush it. You can easily do a fantastic job if you car is all slobbery.
    I now the visual is or pretty but it works.

Peace,

Darrin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12