autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

(Another) Question About Water Spots

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, but have been reading a lot of threads on here for a while now. I've read and re-read all of the detailing how-to's and have learned a TON from all of you. So I first wanted to thank you for having such a great community where answers are easy to find! Now onto my scenario/question....I have a 2015 Honda Accord Coupe - my first car that I bought with my own money, my baby.

I gave it a fresh detail soon after I bought it and have since been washing (using the 2 bucket method) and following up with Meg's UQW after every (or every other) wash. Just finished a nice wash and wax last Thursday and then on Friday night we had a huge rain storm (of course, right?!). I figured the water spots would wash right off when I washed it on Sunday, but to my dismay, they didn't. So I followed up the wash with Meg's D15501 (last touch detailer) and all of the water spots SEEMED to disappear. That is, until I was gasing up last night and saw under the bright gas station lights, that many of the water spots were still there (ghosted so to speak). I read Mike's post and it looks like my next step is to use a paint cleaner by hand (since I don't have a DA yet) I think? (any other suggestions welcomed)

My question is this: Is there any good way to prevent water spots? I would have thought a good sealant topped with the spray wax would have worked, but obviously not.

Second question: If I don't have time in the next week or so to do a full paint clean like Mike shows in his post, will the water spots eat through the clear coat or become worse/harder to get out? Is there any downside to not getting rid of the water spots right away?

Thanks in advance for any help and I apologize for the lengthy post! AG has made me OCD about my new car.... the parents and girlfriend think I'm nuts haha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: (Another) Question About Water Spots

Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt92 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Rread Mike's post and it looks like my next step is to use a paint cleaner by hand (since I don't have a DA yet) I think? (any other suggestions welcomed)

My question is this: Is there any good way to prevent water spots? I would have thought a good sealant topped with the spray wax would have worked, but obviously not.

Second question: If I don't have time in the next week or so to do a full paint clean like Mike shows in his post, will the water spots eat through the clear coat or become worse/harder to get out? Is there any downside to not getting rid of the water spots right away?
    First question: What color is the car??? This makes a difference.

Water spots are created by the hardness of the water... essentially mineral deposits (Calcium & Magnesium). No, they won't etch through the clear-coat like bird droppings, but they are stubborn buggers to get out. And the longer you let them bake in the hot sun makes them even harder.

You could start with paint cleansing lotion (if you have it). I actually just started using PCL on various jobs in small spots or sections, by hand, although if I were to do an entire car, I would use a wax/sealant pad and a DA.

Honestly, although it has saved me a few times, I wouldn't use it in this case. My case was a freshly detailed car (3 step paint correction & sealant) got HD Speed spatter from another car getting detailed, then dried in the hot sun. I used the cleansing lotion to get the spatter off when a QD or D114 wouldn't.

The best route to take is paint correction. In your case if the paint is already in excellent condition, you may consider getting HD Speed which is an All In One (compound, polish & sealant). It's cut level (hard to believe) is a #2 but amazingly it's a miracle solution. The best way to apply is to get yourself a DA (Porta Cable 7424 xp is a GREAT machine for the price).

As far as preventing water spots, my suggestion would be a good caranuba wax... Perhaps Collinite 476 double wax, or Collinite 916 (Mark D'Elegance). Others may suggest a coating such as Opti-Coat or CQuartz, but you need to do a full paint correction (3 step - compound, polish and eraser) before applying the coating.

I say Collinite because (I believe) it was the first Caranuba / Polymer mix dating back to the 1930's for marine use. I have used it on all three of my cars and it is VERY hydrophobic. 476 is a double wax used in marine applications. It actually deepens the color of the car and adds a 5 mile wet shine, while repelling water.

If your just starting out, the latter option (3 step paint correction) is a big learning curve and time consuming... I would just do the HD Speed, step back and marvel, then do the Collinite and make it pop.

Hope this helps! And tell your GF you're not crazy... You're increasing the value $$$ of her ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul! So I'm guessing the M21 sealant that I have or the Meg's Ultimate Paste wax aren't good enough products? The car actually never had these products on them.... A driver in front of me ran over a paint can and got white paint all over my car (modern steel metallic... Gunmetal color). I took it to a detailer who removed almost all of the white paint and supposedly did a 3 step paint correction. I doubt he did though because I can still see small swirls in the right light. Would that combination of M21 and the ultimate paste wax work after correcting the paint?

In short, there's probably no way of preventing this in the future, other than parking in a garage or driving it after it rains to get most of the rain off, right?

Post Thanks / Like

use a wheel cleaner on your paint..... rain etches because its acid
    use an acid based wheel cleaner like megs wheel brightener

Post Thanks / Like

Do not under any circumstances use an acid based wheel cleaner on your paint.

If you have stubborn water spots use a dedicated product designed for removing water spots. Your paint will thank you.

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I would NEVER use a wheel cleaner on my paint. Thanks for all the help guys. So if I park outside is this a recurring problem? Will I have to do a paint correction once/twice a year? There has to be a better way to prevent water spots than drying your car after it rains each time

Post Thanks / Like

Acid based wheel cleaner is perfectly fine on your paint if you properly rinse the cleaner off the paint. I've done it multiple times myself and at the detail shop I work at.

Post Thanks / Like

We have found that XMT AIO works well on many spots. I haven't had much luck with any of the sprays designed for it. XMT 360, Rupes 21 and the yellow pad. The only way I have seen to prevent them is to wipe them off ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Do not under any circumstances use an acid based wheel cleaner on your paint.

If you have stubborn water spots use a dedicated product designed for removing water spots. Your paint will thank you.

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover
    You realize that Spotless is an acid based product also, right? It amazes me that everyone here on AG is so afraid to use products that have been industry standard for years, just because you don't understand a product doesn't mean it wont work.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast