autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AIO's never get any love, but...

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Are DG 501 and 105 really AIO? I think of an AIO as a product that includes a cleaner, LSP and abrasives to remove minor swirling. I thought DG 501 and 105 contain no abrasives just cleaners and LSP.
    I wonder what type of "polishing agents"
    Duragloss puts in their #s 105 and 501?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're correct in that i don't think DG501 has any abrasives. At least i don't see any "correction", even slight, with DG501 but this particular customer insisted early on he didn't want anything "reducing his clearcoat" despite my attempts at educating him. DG501 does do a fairly affective job at cleaning and leaving at least some protection for him and he likes it.

Thus the reason i am following this thread for some other's experience with an AIO. I am fairly confident i can convince him to change to something that yields better results. I've had my eye on the Uber AIO. I've never been a big fan of AIO's for the fact it's a compromise in all phases of intent. That is, how much protection can you get when you marry it with a light abrasive AND a cleaner? I am of the old school mentality that each of those efforts get their own dedicated step. The ole cleaner/conditioner shampoo argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Are DG 501 and 105 really AIO? I think of an AIO as a product that includes a cleaner, LSP and abrasives to remove minor swirling. I thought DG 501 and 105 contain no abrasives just cleaners and LSP.
    My humble opinion is that AIO products should be viewed as products that clean and protect the paint, regardless whether chemical and/or abrasives succeed at that task. Once around the car/truck...and done.

Throwing the following in for Puckman...

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    I think you're correct in that i don't think DG501 has any abrasives.
    Not sure if I agree with that totally. Honestly it's hard for me to tell if both the product and the pad were at work in the photo's below. I know that pad probably cut some, but I'm also inclined to think the products did as well.

Take a look at the photo's below in this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/74409-xmt360-vs-duragloss-501-clean-cut.html

This photo taken directly after using each product.

The next 3 photo were taken a year later. Pay particular attention at the crease line of the hood and notice that both products did cut at least some...in person the xmt clearly cut more (not as obvious in the photo).

It could also be said that the pad helped with cut. However, since the pads were the same green Lake Country pads, then how (in person and a year later) could the xmt appeared to have cut more, the same as it appeared when I first performed the test spots? A year later all filling oils would have been gone because this car wasn't topped with any thing and hardly washed.

So, I believe xmt and DG 501, along with pad choice, does cut to at least a minute degree as evidenced in the above photo's, 501 cutting the least.

Regardless, and by whatever means (abrasives or solely from the pad) DG 501 cleans and shines the paint very well, as did xmt.

At least i don't see any "correction", even slight, with DG501 but this particular customer insisted early on he didn't want anything "reducing his clearcoat" despite my attempts at educating him. DG501 does do a fairly affective job at cleaning and leaving at least some protection for him and he likes it.
    If your customer like the results of DG501 that's awesome.

Thus the reason i am following this thread for some other's experience with an AIO... I've had my eye on the Uber AIO.
    I have my eye on Uber AIO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    I wonder what type of "polishing agents"
    Duragloss puts in their #s 105 and 501?Bob
    I think Bob's question can be taken literally and with a hint of sarcasm as well. He addressed the question below a few years ago and I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Mike P., if I'm not mistaken, mentions to go by what the product in the bottle does.

Still...with that in mind...
    Whenever I read a product's description and it says it:
    Cleans, polishes, protects...such as Duragloss #501 says above...
    I do expect an "abrasive of some kind or the other", to be part of the product's formulation.
    Bob

EDIT:

I'm off to order some AIO's.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Meg D151. I worked great but did dust some. Lately I have been using HD Speed. IMO HD Speed works better for me. I use a 5.5 orange buff and shine pad on my Rupes 15 and it demolishes hazing and reduces swirls up to 50% or more depending on the paint. It's the only AIO I use now. I use it outdoors also and it has little to no dust, and I'm in Richmond VA where the summers are hot and muggy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Bill, for an awesome reply! This particular customer's car is white and let me say i have never seen much, if any, reduction in the marring and i suspected DG501 wasn't doing much as far as cut. Your photos certainly show different and i appreciate it. I think i'll try a side by side myself on a darker paint. And, yes, the customer has been happy with DG so far but there might be better and this thread has been awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. I did DG 501 on a Toyota Tundra on a polishing pad and it's correction was either very, very little to none at all. It did, however, clean the paint extremely well. Turned my pad almost black.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dedicated customer who comes to me once a month. He specifically wants an "AIO" after a wash. That's it. I have been using DG501 but am looking to try out some other products and this thread is timely for me!

This customer uses his car for his business and puts a LOT of miles on it over a month. I see evidence that it is never washed other than by me once a month!
    With the level of cut some of these AIOs have, I'd be concerned about the paint you would be removing if you step up from DG 501.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and very good point considering this customer has this mystical phobia of me cutting off his clear coat layer. The problem is he has, from time to time, run it through a few tunnel washes and the marring is very noticeable. I was thinking of something typical of the very light cut of some of the new AIO's that might reduce them a bit but not cut too deep. And even then...maybe do it twice a year for him continuing the Monthly DG cleanings.

The paint marring condition drives me insane however i give the customer exactly what he wants. I don't want to fixate on my customer and I like this discussion of different AIO's based on user experience. Keep 'em comin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes and very good point considering this customer has this mystical phobia of me cutting off his clear coat layer. The problem is he has, from time to time, run it through a few tunnel washes and the marring is very noticeable. I was thinking of something typical of the very light cut of some of the new AIO's that might reduce them a bit but not cut too deep. And even then...maybe do it twice a year for him continuing the Monthly DG cleanings.

The paint marring condition drives me insane however i give the customer exactly what he wants. I don't want to fixate on my customer and I like this discussion of different AIO's based on user experience. Keep 'em comin'.
    Maybe consider using a glaze? It's kinda shoddy, I'd never use a glaze, buy it sounds like that's exactly something he'd like.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all but abandoned glaze products a few years ago. I agree with that as a possible application in this case...maybe even add some "filler" (God forbid) to hide the swirls and scratches... but i do like the cleaning and whatever protection is left behind for maybe 2 weeks out of the 4 i see him. Still kinda stuck on an AIO product but thanks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast