autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1 step vs 2 step, is there any easy way to tell what is needed for my car?

I have a 07 mazda 3 true red hatchback, it has relatively low mileage (55k) and I believe the paint work is OK condition. It has light to medium swirl marks on it and I really want to remove them. Right now in my head I'm planning on getting a harbor freight or porter cable 7424xp DA.

I'm just totally lost as to what products I should try or use. Right now I wash my car with chemical guys/meguirs stuff but it has not been paint corrected. I clayed it with a mild clay about 4 months ago and I plan to go back over it with something slightly stronger to make the paintwork feel smoother.

Ideally I would like to do a 1 step process with something like chemical guys VSS (or comparable product) but I'm not really sure how much correcting it can do.. I just know I don't have a garage and my driveway is all rocks/dirt so 2 steps on my first go ahead might take me hours to do and it would become tedious to make sure there isn't any fine dirt/sand on my car while polishing it. I could go to my girlfriends but still, I can't occupy the small driveway for more than 5-7 hours max.

Obviously if I go with 1 or 2 step I also need some type of liquid wax to apply afterwards, or do I use sealant?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 step vs 2 step, is there any easy way to tell what is needed for my car?

I can't tell you what to buy, but, I would stay away from Chemical Guys and look at Meguiar's or if your wallet allows, look at the high-end stuff like BlackFire etc.
    Also, Collinite is great stuff at a super price.

Post Thanks / Like

1 step vs 2 step, is there any easy way to tell what is needed for my car?

Meguiars
    -ultimate compound
    -ultimate polish.
    -ultimate paste wax
    -maintain with ultimate spray wax

can get all the above over the counter and easy to use

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the Meguiar's Ultimate line

How you know what steps to do is do a test spot. Try just the polish on a 2x2 area and see if you get the results youre hoping for. If not try the compound then check if the defects are gone. If so follow up with the polish.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Due to your situation a good AIO might be the answer. Menzerna & Wolfgang make a quality AIO that can be used with the PC DA you are considering. Historically I was not a fan of AIO's but this new lineup produces great results. It will make your life easy and can be done a couple times a year to keep your car looking awesome. Combine these with good 2bucket or rinsless wash technique and you should be good to go.

Wolfgang Uber All In One, cleaner wax, all in one polish wax
    Menzerna 3 in 1 Cut, Gloss & Wax
    Or
    3D HD Speed 32 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a very soft clear like just about every Mazda i have seen. A good AIO, or Menzerna 2500/ 4000 combo. Look into a package from AG with the PC or Griots Garage 6" you wont regret either of those machines at all

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion you cannot make any assumptions about what process is needed (1 step, 2 step, which pads/compounds etc) until you have conducted a test spot to determine what works best.

Even if paint hardness on certain models was consistent, which it isn't, you still have the variable of how DEEP into the clear the damage on YOUR car is.

'Generally' Mazdas will have softer paint, but here is a True Red Mazda 3 I detailed that needed some fairly heavy hitting to rectify, which goes completely against the perception of soft paint.

True Red Mazda 3 MPS - Detailed by Lawrence

I have not used the Chemical guys polishes, so can't comment on them, and am a huge Menzerna fan so will naturally recommend something like

FG400 - for heavy cutting
    PF2500 - for medium cutting
    SF4000 - for light polishing/finishing

With the selection of the above polishes, you could adjust how much cutting you need in order to remove only enough paint to rid it of the damage, and no more.

You may be able to use any of the above as a 1-step, although on red, I would probably wanna follow the initial step (be it FG400 or PF2500) with SF4000 to restore clarity to the paint by removing any hazing the initial compounding steps introduced.

Post Thanks / Like

I would emphatically recommend the PC over the Harbor Frieght DA!

I would also recommend an AIO. Yes, all in ones arent better at everything, but its a matter of making your life easy and getting the best results with the least amount of effort. I have used Wolfgang Uber AIO and it is excellent.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I would emphatically recommend the PC over the Harbor Frieght DA!

I would also recommend an AIO. Yes, all in ones aren't better at everything, but its a matter of making your life easy and getting the best results with the least amount of effort. I have used Wolfgang Uber AIO and it is excellent.
    Why's that?

When I buy my DA do I need to buy a backing plate separate? Should I get 5inch or 6inch?

I was suggesting chemical guys stuff because thats what I'm familiar with.

I am highly considering an aio still, but I should probably plan to hit the car with some paste or liquid wax afterwards like right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam3s121 View Post
    Why's that?

When I buy my DA do I need to buy a backing plate separate? Should I get 5inch or 6inch?

I was suggesting chemical guys stuff because thats what I'm familiar with.

I am highly considering an aio still, but I should probably plan to hit the car with some paste or liquid wax afterwards like right?
    The purpose of an AIO is to eliminate the LSP step. Just use the AIO and call it a day. I really believe that keeping it simple is the best route to success and happiness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast