autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which ones MUST you avoid application in the sun

I'm a novice here and hope to get some advice for my weeks project. I have a 2011 Ford F150 (white) which has lost it's ability to hold a shine. From reading and corresponding with a couple of members I have this plan of attack:

Wash the truck with Dawn dish washing liquid to clean the truck and remove old wax.

Clay the truck

Apply Mothers Pure Polish

Apply Menzerna polishing compound

Apply Collonite 845 wax

OK. now what I want to know is if there are any of these steps that MUST be performed out of the direct sun to get satisfactory results. My only option to work out of the sun would to be to start my work very early in the morning. This would mean it would take me several days to complete the task and also it means I would have to get up very early in the morning (not a good thing at my age).

Also, I don't have a buffer so all of my work will be done by hand.

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which ones MUST you avoid application in the sun

You've got your polishing and compound steps reversed. Compound is first and only when needed. I really can't imagine compounding, polish, wax an f150 by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to work on it in the sun I believe 3D has products for this situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    I'm a novice here and hope to get some advice for my weeks project. I have a 2011 Ford F150 (white) which has lost it's ability to hold a shine. From reading and corresponding with a couple of members I have this plan of attack:

Wash the truck with Dawn dish washing liquid to clean the truck and remove old wax.

Clay the truck

Apply Collonite 845 wax

OK. now what I want to know is if there are any of these steps that MUST be performed out of the direct sun to get satisfactory results. My only option to work out of the sun would to be to start my work very early in the morning. This would mean it would take me several days to complete the task and also it means I would have to get up very early in the morning (not a good thing at my age).

Charlie
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but trying to do any sort of compounding by hand on a vehicle the size of the F-150 is going to be hell. Not to mention it will take A LOT of time.

I have an F-150 myself (2014 XLT EcoBoost) and I just applied Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and then followed it up with Collinite 845. However, this was done with my Griots GG6. Even that was a hell of a lot of work on a truck this size.

If your gonna do it I would invest in an electric polisher. If that isn't an option then I would personally pay someone to do the correction on your paint. You could probably get it done for cheaper than what you would pay for the polisher, pads, etc. However, if you plan to do polishing on future vehicles I think the electric polisher is a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned, the fact that your doing it by hand is going to be a bigger issue than the sun. That's a ton of paint to do by hand (my hands would probably fall off lol) If you get a polisher, you should be able to "get away with" doing it in the sun, but you'll have to do smaller sections for sure. Good luck with it!!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

One thing no one has mentioned is how working in the sun, by hand, on a very large vehicle will affect YOU. I would have AT LEAST 2 gallons of water at hand for drinking. Dehydration and exhaustion can be deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised this hasn't come up...

The Dawn dish detergent probably isn't going to really remove the wax. I used to take the same approach until I noticed it really fading my black plastic/vinyl trim pieces and learned it doesn't really remove anything. Just use a normal car shampoo and let the polish do all the surface stripping.

I've corrected and waxed my cars outdoors, but never on a sunny day in the middle of summer. I've use 845 often, but not the polishing products. I can't imagine any of them being much use in the summer sun on a hot vehicle. Poorboys products work in direct sun, but even then you get better results in the shade.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post

Clay the truck

Apply Collonite 845 wax

Charlie
    Well, I was in your shoes about two years ago and let me tell you, it's worth it to pick up a DA polisher rather than trying to do it by hand. It can be done by hand but you'll be finished just after compounding (unless you're a pro athlete). I had polished my entire Jeep SRT8 by hand using mothers polish (took me 7 hours) and the results were just OK. It did bring back the shine and get rid of 1/3rd of the scratches it was far from what a DA could do in 1/8th of the time.

Don't use dawn, get a car soap (dawn leaves a film).
    The wax/slant will be stripped away by the Compound/polish
    Your steps are backwards. Your steps should be: Wash -> Clay -> Compound -> polish -> protect with LSP.

I don't recommend working in the sun but it if you have to you need to keep the following in mind: everything will dry faster (water, clay lube, polish, compound) so you will end up working faster (less quality) and adding more product than you need (my affect results)... I would put up a tarp or something to block the sun (a tree or a friends house is another option).

Post Thanks / Like

Rivstar products are all sun friendly
    Pm me if youre interested

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Rivstar products are all sun friendly
    Pm me if youre interested
    Doubt they're 110f if you touch the hood it can burn you quick lol. There's a difference between sunny and eff'ing hot. I have some sun friendly products, but there's a limit to where anywhere will work temperature wise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast