autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam Cannon

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Cannon

Hello guys

I'm about to buy a foam cannon to take my detailing hobby to the next level!

I've been doing some research and found foam cannons with pretty different prices, but looking the same. As an example, the one from Chemical Guys and the one from MJJC (never heard about before).

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...ds=Foam+cannon

Online Shop Snow Foam Lance Foam Cannon HP compatible with Karcher K Series pressure washer|Aliexpress Mobile

I hope you can see the mobile link, I couldn't get the desktop version. The MJJC is much cheaper and already comes with the adaptor to my Karcher. I've seens videos showing both of them and seem very similar in terms of how well they work. The guys using the MJJC typicaly uses a cheap soaps while Chemical Guys uses their specialized shampoos, which might be responsible for most of the differece.

Any opinion on this cheaper foam cannon or anyother else?

Thanks guys!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Cannon

Skip the foam cannon. I had one and sold it after only a few months. In my opinion it's a waste of time, product, and money.

Post Thanks / Like

But why's that?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spielwurfel View Post
    But why's that?

Foam doesn't equate cleaning. You will always need some type of mechanical abrasion(wash mitt) to truly clean your vehicle. You get far more benefit from simply power rinsing the vehicle when compared to foaming. Some may disagree but for me it did nothing but add time to my wash process.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an MTM foam cannon. There are two different models...one for gas and one for electric pressure washers, so make sure you get the right one. I got mine at Wayfair cheaper than anywhere else.

As far as its usefulness, I find it very useful. I do a hybrid wash. I foam the entire car with soap (usually CG Mr. Pink but there are several options), then let it dwell for 2-3 minutes to loosen the largest dirt and road debris and then rinse with the pressure washer. At this point I do a waterless wash with ONR. Perfect combo!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an MTM foam cannon as well. It works great at making foam. However, that foam really doesn't do much to clean your car over foam in a bucket.

In general, it takes more effort to drag out the pressure washer to pre-rinse it and foam it than it does to do a 2 bucket wash.

However, I will say foaming your house to clean off siding and aluminum flashing works pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my mtn for one thing only . iron x snow soap

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1244365

Also, as someone mentioned, there are two different ones. There is the MTM 14.0263 for gas pressure washers and 14.0349 for lower pressure (up to 2600 psi) electrics. It actually does make a difference, so be sure to get the right one.
    - Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I think the foam cannon has one good purpose: putting down a nice layer of foamy lubricant. I have a feeling that this layer helps with the actual wash itself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the huge debate regarding is a foam cannon worth it, I still think they are, IF you are serious about trying everything you can to minimize swirls.

To my mind getting as much dirt off the car as possible PRIOR to making contact with the paint has to reduce the potential for swirls... and so a thorough rinsing with the HP washer is definite must.... it really does remove a lot of dirt that would otherwise be sandwhiched between your wash mitt and paint.

Now, if you already have the HP washer out for the pre-wash rinse, then simply plugging in the foam cannon at this point is really no extra work.

Shooting some decent quality snowfoam onto the paint, letting it dwell and HP rinsing again isn't gonna take you more than 5 to 10 minutes and even if it pulls off another 5% of the dirt on your car, that's 5% less dirt that could scratch your paint during washing....

Will simply foaming the car get it 100% clean - NO.... but it is an additional step that will help to mitigate inflicting swirls onto the paint. By how much - who knows and is the cost of the foam cannon and the snowfoam acceptable to YOU - who knows...? It is a personal decision that YOU will have to make.

It is also quite nice to shoot a layer of foam onto the car just prior to washing to add another layer of lubricity....

And, with everything already out (HP washer and foam cannon) I find it very handy when using a iron decontaminating product to spray some over the car after the iron remover has been dwelling on the paint for a few minutes to help keep things from drying out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast