autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

what pad for Optimum GPS?

Hey guys, long time no chat. Life's been crazy but I'm back with a question. Going to give my Jeep a good detail this weekend before pulling the top for summer and I'm finally going to use the Optimum GPS I picked up for it a couple years ago (yes it still seems to be good). I've figured out that the Optimum polishes are all SMAT technology so now I'm not sure which of my pad types I should use.

I have the Lake Country pads in both flat and CCS. If the GPS was the DAT type of polish I'd use the flat pads for sure. I'm still thinking of using the flat pads just because it seems like more surface area should actually be in contact due to no dimpling and the buffing would go quicker because of that. I bought the CCS pads originally before I really understood the differences in pads.....at least to the level I understand them now lol.

As far as actual pad type/color I plan on using the white "polishing" pads along with my 1st gen PC 7424 (assuming it hasn't died since I last used it). I won't need more cut than the white pads since anything that needs some serious removal I'll step up to orange pads and my bottle of TSR. So anyway, what are you guys' thoughts on the flat vs. CCS pads for the GPS?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what pad for Optimum GPS?

Very similiar cut. Jeeps usually have fairly hard clear coats so you could step up to a green or orange pad with GPS and probably still finish well.

The CCS pads should cut just like the flat, the dimpling just helps dissapate heat and hold onto product a little better.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what pad for Optimum GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Very similiar cut. Jeeps usually have fairly hard clear coats so you could step up to a green or orange pad with GPS and probably still finish well.

The CCS pads should cut just like the flat, the dimpling just helps dissapate heat and hold onto product a little better.
    Thanks for the info . It's too bad it's not a harder clear coat. I've tried to avoid foliage with it off-road but sometimes things happen. If I knew what I know now, I'd have probably gone for white paint when I bought it