autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing

So I get a call from a potential client today asking about pricing and services, I find out that she's looking for a complete compound/polish/wax detail...I had a feeling that based on her knowledge of the terminology that she'd been shopping around. I tried to set up an appointment so I could better asses and quote accurately but she said she had some one coming to do the job already tomorrow. So I threw out my starting price and she abruptly thanked me for my time and was ready to go. I was interested what the other guy was charging because I know I'm pretty competitively, if not under priced (new and trying to gain new customers) and she told me he's only charging $125 for complete detail with interior and exterior with compound/polish/wax!!! I expressed my surprise to her at the low price considering how much work it is and wished her luck on the detail.

Anybody else deal with issues like this? What do you say to the customers? How does this guy stay in business?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing

There are guys out there who will low ball their pricing and spend a couple hours on the car and call it a complete "detail". I've had this happen to me a few times. A friend of mine actually had it done by a guy who promised a "complete detail" for $100. He got a wash, vacuum, and a hand wax over his very swirled out black paint for his $100. This was a complete detail in his mind until he saw what real detailing and paint correction looked like. He is now a regular customer of mine. Stand by your work and what you charge for it. Don't under sell yourself, you'll get burned out really fast.....

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post
    There are guys out there who will low ball their pricing and spend a couple hours on the car and call it a complete "detail". I've had this happen to me a few times. A friend of mine actually had it done by a guy who promised a "complete detail" for $100. He got a wash, vacuum, and a hand wax over his very swirled out black paint for his $100. This was a complete detail in his mind until he saw what real detailing and paint correction looked like. He is now a regular customer of mine. Stand by your work and what you charge for it. Don't under sell yourself, you'll get burned out really fast.....

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I'll double that. Great advice Mike. I'm going to remember that.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Lots and lots of them in my area. One guy posted $80 for a full interior and exterior on a SUV. I tell people straight up, one product I use is $20 for a bottle and I use half a bottle each time. The $80 guy isn't going to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of local guys charge $100 for a 'full detail'. One even includes a 'three stage buff'.

Not even going to try and fight for the customers that only want to pay that price. They don't care about quality, they are looking for a deal.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse Mike View Post

Mike

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I totally agree, I know what my time and effort is worth, I definitely don't want to be the "go to guy" for bargain shoppers.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a couple here too, and there were many more back in Seattle where I used to detail. It's not even worth trying to compete with these guys on price. Let your work speak for itself and it'll pay off.

Usually the customers that are looking for those bargain basement prices also have the dirtiest cars out there (especially interiors) and you wouldn't want to do them at your current prices, let alone the prices those "other" guys are charging.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion their needs to be a better explanation by one servicing customers, I try to inform customers that A DETAIL IS A THOROUGH CLEANING of vehicle, whether mini, express or complete. with only exception of using buffer/polisher is for an A.I.O (All in one product} or wax only.

And paint correction IS CORRECTING DEFECTS OF PAINT, such as etching,swirls, micro marring, water spots, scratches and et cetra.
    By way of machine polishing/buffing as this may require the use of chemicals such as compounds and polishes in varies steps and requires time and certain skill level as not to cause more damage to painted surfaces. hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem around here. Every hand car wash (and there are like 50 of them in town) offer a full hand wash for 5.99$ and you can bump that up to 14.99$ if you want interior and armor all.

They also offer paint polishing for 100$.

I would be scared to see the results, even if they only charge 10$/hour for it, having 4 or 6 guys with polishers in a rush around my car would make me really scared. Cause that's how they do it around here. 4 or more guys clean the car at the same time. I have no idea how they can make a living. Takes them 15 minutes to do that 14,99$ cleaning... so that's 15$ split 6 ways for their work. And they still need to pay for products, the rent of the garage, electricity and all. Just baffles me.

But if someone wants to go there, I am not gonna anything to my prices to compete. It's frustrating but I won't waste my time and energy for pennies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast