autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Why takes me so long?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to speed up my process for detailing/cleaning cars. I'm pretty new to the business and do a great job but feel that I take too long in the process. Here are the steps I take for what I call a stage 1 detail (my basic package)

Detail Rims/Wheel Wells
    Hand Wash (2bm)
    Microfiber/High Pressure Air Dry
    Deep Gloss Spray (quick detail spray)
    Dress Tires
    Clean Door Jambs
    Shampoo/Spot Treat Mats
    Clean and Dress Interior Vinyl/Plastic
    Vacuum Interior and Trunk
    Clean Windows

On average this takes me 3-4 hours, but feel that it's too long.
    A client requested a wax on this package so I did a clay bar and wax which took a total of 5 hours.

I guess my question is, based on what I do, how long do you take or would it take you to do this much?

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why takes me so long?

Are you making the interior spotless? Every nook and cranny cleaned and dust free? That's how long it takes our interior + exterior jobs, but the job is done PERFECT, every edge and corner, every nook and cranny is made spotless.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

A full inside/outside job with spot treatment, etc usually takes me 3-4 hours depending how bad the interior is. But as stated, there's not a spot in that car that I havent touched, and you'd be hardpressed to find something that isnt clean.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I find myself obsessing over cleaning every nook and cranny but this package is intended to be a spray and wipe.

Does anyone have any tips that they do to streamline their process?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattas25 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to speed up my process for detailing/cleaning cars. I'm pretty new to the business and do a great job but feel that I take too long in the process. Here are the steps I take for what I call a stage 1 detail (my basic package)

Detail Rims/Wheel Wells
    Hand Wash (2bm)
    Microfiber/High Pressure Air Dry
    Deep Gloss Spray (quick detail spray)
    Dress Tires
    Clean Door Jambs
    Shampoo/Spot Treat Mats
    Clean and Dress Interior Vinyl/Plastic
    Vacuum Interior and Trunk
    Clean Windows

On average this takes me 3-4 hours, but feel that it's too long.
    A client requested a wax on this package so I did a clay bar and wax which took a total of 5 hours.

I guess my question is, based on what I do, how long do you take or would it take you to do this much?

Thank you in advance.
    I do this on the side during the weekends and I'm about at the same time lines as you. I had a dodge caravan with excessive dog hair take me 4 1/2 hours just on the interior. Under charged them at $150 too....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh okay, then yes that seems toi long.

For interiors, I came up with the idea of getting a five gallon bucket and one of the things construction workers use to carry their tools. It turns a five gallon bucket into an interior caddy. Not quite like this one, ours has stuff on the inside and outside of the bucket.
    http://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-Polyest...nizer/50175697

Keeping your tools with you is one of the biggest time savers.

For exteriors, I find using D156 helps quicken drying when not using air. Also a good quality mitt like a Microfiber Madness Incredipad or Incredimitt allows you to get more area covered safely because they hold tons of solution and their design lets them glide for a long period of time. This means less time between going back to the buckets.
    Door jamb are quickly done with a boars hair brush and soap.
    For mats, I pull them out when I do the exterior (which I do before interior btw) because I use my pressure washer for them and have it out for the exterior as well.

The biggest help for vacuuming is getting a flexible crevice to.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Oh okay, then yes that seems toi long.

For interiors, I came up with the idea of getting a five gallon bucket and one of the things construction workers use to carry their tools. It turns a five gallon bucket into an interior caddy. Not quite like this one, ours has stuff on the inside and outside of the bucket.
    http://m.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-Polyest...nizer/50175697

Keeping your tools with you is one of the biggest time savers.

For exteriors, I find using D156 helps quicken drying when not using air. Also a good quality mitt like a Microfiber Madness Incredipad or Incredimitt allows you to get more area covered safely because they hold tons of solution and their design lets them glide for a long period of time. This means less time between going back to the buckets.
    Door jamb are quickly done with a boars hair brush and soap.
    For mats, I pull them out when I do the exterior (which I do before interior btw) because I use my pressure washer for them and have it out for the exterior as well.

The biggest help for vacuuming is getting a flexible crevice to.

Thank you for the great tips! I've got the bucket caddy, but haven't been using it like you suggested. I'll def give that and the better quality mitt a try, those are both areas that I didn't realize I was wasting time with. So how do you use the d156? When the car is still wet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattas25 View Post
    Thank you for the great tips! I've got the bucket caddy, but haven't been using it like you suggested. I'll def give that and the better quality mitt a try, those are both areas that I didn't realize I was wasting time with. So how do you use the d156? When the car is still wet?
    Yes when it's still wet.

I never realized how much faster a better mitt would be either. I had been using Meguiar's wash mitts for a couple years, but then my girlfriend bought me an Incredimitt. So at work we got an Incredipad and it lets me cover more area safely than the Meguiar's mitts.

Are you using a bug sponge? Those also are a huge helper.

Post Thanks / Like

For interiors I do a section at a time, carry all my cleaners in a caddy as well. So for example I will start with the driver front and vac, if spots need treated, spray them, wipe door and dash down, go back to spots. Move to back driver side and repeat then back passenger and finally front passenger. Jambs get a first run through during this as well. Then wash, exterior then windows. Floormats are usually tossed in the washing machine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Yes when it's still wet.

I never realized how much faster a better mitt would be either. I had been using Meguiar's wash mitts for a couple years, but then my girlfriend bought me an Incredimitt. So at work we got an Incredipad and it lets me cover more area safely than the Meguiar's mitts.

Are you using a bug sponge? Those also are a huge helper.

Nice, I tried the d156 while wet and it worked great. Dried fast and crystal clear. I'm going to have to get the incredimitt, I've been using a microfiber mitt, but willing to try anything that speeds me up. Yes, I use a microfiber bug sponge, spray tarminator a few minutes before I get started, it helps a little. Haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast