autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Billet Wheels, Possible?

Hey everyone long time no post, I recently purchased a new toy a 2002 Chevy Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Ed. I am looking to purchase a set of Billet Specialties Street Lite drag rims for my car and I want to coat the billet before they are mounted and put on the car.

The car did not look like this when I purchased it.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to whether these are clear coated or not. My question is if they are not clear coated can I use opticoat or something similar on them?

Appreciate all information given!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Billet Wheels, Possible?

Billet Wheels are either polished or power coated aluminum. Either way they can be coated. Must be super clean, free of any polishing oils. Treat it like putting a coating on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

You've probably already thought this out but just wanted to give a couple words of advice just in case. If you're having a shop mount the tires (and you want to keep the rims in as good condition as possible) I would speak with them before they do any work and let them know that you expect the rims not to be scratched, etc.

Then take pictures of them before they're mounted so you have proof that they weren't damaged in any way - in case the shop does do any damage to them.

Again, just wanted to warn you beforehand as some shops aren't conscientious about their work on rims and will damage them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Cole View Post
    You've probably already thought this out but just wanted to give a couple words of advice just in case. If you're having a shop mount the tires (and you want to keep the rims in as good condition as possible) I would speak with them before they do any work and let them know that you expect the rims not to be scratched, etc.

Then take pictures of them before they're mounted so you have proof that they weren't damaged in any way - in case the shop does do any damage to them.

Again, just wanted to warn you beforehand as some shops aren't conscientious about their work on rims and will damage them.
    Good advice..I've had some bad experience with some tire shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Billet Wheels are either polished or power coated aluminum. Either way they can be coated. Must be super clean, free of any polishing oils. Treat it like putting a coating on paint.
    Yes, these are polished. I meant to use a coating such as opticoat or similar does the wheel have to have a clearcoat or will the coating hold up just as well on the bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by J Cole View Post

Yes I haven't decided on which shop im going to use, I haven't even gotten the wheels yet I just wanted to see what my options were for protecting the finish. I will definitely have pictures of each rim before they are touched to have proof of the condition.

Appreciate the advice tho!

Post Thanks / Like

I had high polished uncoated wheels from Iforged on the Vette, I coated them with Gtechnics Wheel Armor and it last for about two years. (car was garage kept) But I would do it again in a heartbeat, just that I would never purchase uncoated wheels again.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I had high polished uncoated wheels from Iforged on the Vette, I coated them with Gtechnics Wheel Armor and it last for about two years. (car was garage kept) But I would do it again in a heartbeat, just that I would never purchase uncoated wheels again.
    Thanks! That's what I was looking for, I'm ordering today and want to know what to order.