autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hate to ask this but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetailer1 View Post
    I understand the clay puts some more swirls into it but some of the paint feels down right nasty and I wouldn't feel right just throwing wax on top of that surface. For my basic package I was trying to avoid using a machine completely so that leaves out AIO's. Glaze would do the trick but maybe I could follow that up with a quick spray wax? What's the rules on wax on top of glaze? Any?? I'd probably rather not want to do that either though since I'm not trying to marry the car for the price being paid. I try to push as much as possible my middle of the road package which usually ends up being menzerna PF followed by the PL.
    Why leave out a machine? No power? I understand there are ways as fast or faster than a machine (hydro2 or a nanoskin mitt). But the machine gives you flexibility and is far less effort than a nanoskin mitt by hand. If you've already got the machine with you, break it out for sure.

Auto Magic BC-2 is a crazy filler. Hit the vehicle quick with that and top with hydro2 and I would expect a very shine car that should last several months.

It's tough when customers don't have time to listen to you for 5 minutes. Maybe try to educate them and give them the option of a filler and topper that looks a little better, but not as durable, or a sealant that won't look as good, but will look consistent for the next 4-6 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    It's tough when customers don't have time to listen to you for 5 minutes. Maybe try to educate them and give them the option of a filler and topper that looks a little better, but not as durable, or a sealant that won't look as good, but will look consistent for the next 4-6 months.
    Would those customers even notice the slight difference between the two though? They mostly just want "clean and shiny."
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE Hydro2 but I have not had good luck using it in this type of situation..."hide swirls" it coats the paint nicely but doesnt cover squat IMO.
    I have had stunning (relatively) results with what D156 or AW does to paint that is a swirled mess and the customer just doesnt care. They both have made quite an improvement on darker cars. To you all and I it wouldnt be good enough but the customer was VERY happy. Im sure it lasted all of a week or 2 but they dont really care.

I would recommend some type of paste wax though, spray may not be what you are looking for but just about any paste wax can fool 85% of the people out there. (You are not fooling them really its what they are asking for)
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Would those customers even notice the slight difference between the two though? They mostly just want "clean and shiny."
    I doubt most would see the difference. I'd expect 90%+ would want what the OP is already providing. This is more to give the customer the option and help the OP come to grips with the fact that he's already giving the customer what they want - then he won't feel so bad leaving them with shiny, swirled paint. This should make the customer and OP feel good, nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I doubt most would see the difference. I'd expect 90%+ would want what the OP is already providing. This is more to give the customer the option and help the OP come to grips with the fact that he's already giving the customer what they want - then he won't feel so bad leaving them with shiny, swirled paint. This should make the customer and OP feel good, nothing more.

This describes exactly how I feel. I know they are happy with what I'm currently doing but unfortunately I need to feel good about what I'm providing. If I had something that just required a quick wipe on wipe off without using a machine that would be ideal. I feel if I have to go to machine I might as well just use an AIO...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetailer1 View Post
    This describes exactly how I feel. I know they are happy with what I'm currently doing but unfortunately I need to feel good about what I'm providing.
    Perhaps you need to do a better job of upselling? Are you taking the time to inspect their vehicle, and show them what you're seeing in the finish? Don't just let them come to you and say, "I want the Standard Gem" and leave it at that. They can only say no.

If you're already doing that, great. Then you need to accept that some people just want clean and "shiny." Just like a mechanic has to accept that a customer sometimes doesn't want to get all the repair their vehicle might need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    Perhaps you need to do a better job of upselling? Are you taking the time to inspect their vehicle, and show them what you're seeing in the finish? Don't just let them come to you and say, "I want the Standard Gem" and leave it at that. They can only say no.

If you're already doing that, great. Then you need to accept that some people just want clean and "shiny." Just like a mechanic has to accept that a customer sometimes doesn't want to get all the repair their vehicle might need.
    This is a weekend only job for me and I only do it spring, summer and fall. I try to take the best before and after shots I can and most of the customers have seen my website before the call. I explain to them that the pics on the site are exceptional gem and above. Out of 20 cars maybe 5 will get the standard. I really think this is more for my sanity rather than the customer. Just looking for a quick fix on swirls with decent protection. I know we get what we pay for but I was just trying to give a lil more.

Post Thanks / Like

If your doing this for money then you need to start using a machine. Give them something they can't do themselves. A DA like a Cyclo or PC is pretty much dummy proof. You can't hurt the paint short of dropping the machine on the hood. They will leave a shine you will never match by hand.

www.JaxDetails.com
    www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
    I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123