autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish the lip on my BBS LM's - with powerball?

Hi! I just parked my S2000 for the winter (yes, I know it's too early.. ). So. I'm going to polish the lip on my rims. I'm thinking of first, remove the tires, second, split the rims, and then start the hard work.. Do you guys think it would work OK if I first use very fine "sanding paper" (don't know if it's the right word) to remove the clear coat, and then attack with metal polish and Mother's Powerball? How about this?: Mothers PowerBall Metal Kit polishes metal trim, wheels and chrome with Mothers PowerMetal Polish. Or is it enough maybe to just buy the Powerball and some "Autosol"? (CMS International.) Any experience with the Mother's Powerball kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    the mini Powerball is a fav ... it works well on uncoated aluminum wheels. You can also purchase felt tips outside of AG if serious polishing is needed. Mothers Billet is a great choice as is Flitz and work well with Powerball as needed.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I have allready polished an aluminium lip for my car with the Powerball, and it worked fine. It will take some time to polish all four rims/lips, but it's possible I think. Do you think the Powerball mini will be the best for this job?

Post Thanks / Like
    polishing the rims/lips with the power ball is done pretty quick.. doing it by hand is a different story...

I used the Duragloss 881 metal polish with good result, also tryed the P21s metal paste and that also gave a good gloss on the rims..
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    But getting some metal polish/paste would be a easyer job, what he does (the swede) is some days work imo, but with the power ball and alu polish you get the rims smooth in some hours..

Wheel restore

Did these ones some weeks ago (in a short time), and they got pretty glossy, the alu was scratched up so it didnt get 100% but i guess your rims is in a better state than thes are

Just wash them good, and then polish them with the polish ball and duragloss 881 or P21s alu paste (you find the P21s in Norway if you need to get it quickly) Ive never tryed the Autosol so i cant compare it with any of the above, but thes two gave a great result imo.
    Last edited by Truls; 09-11-2007 at 12:18 PM.
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to ask Tandis when he is going to order from AG next time, so I can order with him! hehe. But the lips on my rims have clear coat, so I have to sand it off (if that's the right words) before I start polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    if they have clear coat ....then just use a paint polish and Powerball.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanding? you want to remove the clear cote from the wheels? (isnt it BBS you have?)

Then you need to sand them down and polish them up again, something i dont think i would do if it was my wheels. Do they look dull?
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. That could be an option, but I think it usually looks better without clear coat. More shiney if you know.. And the lips have some light scratches. So maybe I have to sand it anyways..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truls View Post
    Sanding? you want to remove the clear cote from the wheels? (isnt it BBS you have?)

Then you need to sand them down and polish them up again, something i dont think i would do if it was my wheels. Do they look dull?
    Yes, it's BBS. The reason I'm thinking of sanding them, is that the clear coat is damaged. So what if I sand them, polish, and then get a fresh new layer of clear coat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast