autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine cleaning routine and dos and dont's

I am in the process of searching engine cleaning routines and products so I thoght I'd ask for a summary or to point me to the most helpful topics.

I am still confused about whether and how to use water/low pressure washing to prepare and rinse off after cleaning.

What are your favorite products? Application techniques? Cleaning routine?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for redundancy here...have never cleaned engine on my 07 G35 and want to get it right.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine cleaning routine and dos and dont's

I personally think a pressurewasher is a better choice (at a safe distance) because of the volume of water is less with a PW than a garden hose.

Here is what I do

1. Spray Meguiars Super Degreaser
    2. Let it dwell for ~30 sec
    3. Maybe agitate with a wheel type brush (medium bristle brush)
    4. Power rinse
    5. Blow dry
    6. Dress (spray the dressing on a MF towel then wipe)
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I personally think a pressurewasher is a better choice (at a safe distance) because of the volume of water is less with a PW than a garden hose.

Here is what I do

1. Spray Meguiars Super Degreaser
    2. Let it dwell for ~30 sec
    3. Maybe agitate with a wheel type brush (medium bristle brush)
    4. Power rinse
    5. Blow dry
    6. Dress (spray the dressing on a MF towel then wipe)

Do you protect any certain elements with plastic prior to getting in contact with water? I keep hearing different things

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I generally do not. I am very careful around the things like Alt, ECM (if it is in the engine bay) ABS modules etc. I will also usually start the engine shortly after the detail to make sure things still work while drying. Most will say I have been lucky up till now and that may be so but maybe my caution and electrical/mechanical knowledge has a part in that too.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly my problem. I don't know what ecu's and alternators etc are. So I guess just have to be careful with everything...

Post Thanks / Like

General rules of thumb:

If it's a new car or very recent, you should not have to worry too much. All the seals should still be perfect and unless you do something really stupid there should be no problem.

If it's an older engine, say 5 years or older, then you really should be carefull. I have had water pass the seals for the spark plugs and had engines misfires on one of the cylinder for over a week. Luckilly it was my own car and I was able to dry it out once I diagnosed the problem. Added di-electric grease on the plugs and after one more day of problems everything went back to normal.

The issue is that once the seals gets old enough they will dry and crack and let water in. In my case it did not result in major damage but it could have been something more sensitive.

I usually do not do engine details on engines older than 5 years. Also when I do one I ask the client to sign a Weaver regarding water that can get to areas where it will cause issues. No matter how carefull you are, if it does it can be a pain to deal with.

As for technique here is how I do it:

Spray the underside of the Hood with a degreaser. Agitate with a soft brush then rinse. Repeat if needed.

I cover the alternator up and any electrical items I think might be vulnerable to water. You can use plastic bags, aluminium foil or what ever you think will do the job. Then spray the whole engine with the degreaser. Again agitate with brushes, you will need at least 3 to cover the large areas, smaller areas and tight areas. I rinse with the fan setting on a low pressure gun. I guess you could use a power washer from a good distance away also. Trick is not to force water into anything. You use want the water to rinse the degreaser away, not act as a cleaning agent either by volume or pressure.

Most of the time you will have to repeat the steps a few times. It's also useful to have stronger cleaners on hand for very tough grease or oïl. I now keep a can of gunk engine cleaner for such spots. Someone on this forum told me they keep a small bottle of diesel fuel and use it with an old sock to remove those spots. Never tried it but it makes sense, use oïl to remove oïl.

Once the engine is clean, blow dry it with a leaf blower, metrovac sidekick or exaust of a vacuum cleaner.

Then protect with the product of your choice. Black plastic really makes the engine pop once dressed.

There are plenty of videos on techniques to do this on Youtube, just search for engine cleaning or engine detailing and you should find plenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    That's exactly my problem. I don't know what ecu's and alternators etc are. So I guess just have to be careful with everything...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...mpartment.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...fessional.html

First link is Mike Phillips article.
    Engine above, 8yrs old / 130k miles. No issues with seals, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Will make good light reading