autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing chafing marks from car cover?

Hello...this is my first technical request post for information after joining the forum and making an introduction. My question concerns what is the best method to remove chafing marks created by the underside seams of my California Car Cover. I have this installed on my 99 Trans AM. It is a nice cover but the underside has seams that extend down over the front and rear fenders which create chafing marks on the paint.

Would swirl remover do they job, and if so, what brand would you recommend? Or does it take something more aggressive? Lastly, I need to find a solution for preventing this from happening in the future? Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing chafing marks from car cover?

I will guess that the cover was on the car while it was parked outside and the wind was able to move the cover around causing the marks.

The only way to actually remove the marks (as compared to covering them up for a while) is to polish the surface with a compound until the surface has had the marred surface removed, exposing new clear (or paint if single stage).

You will need to use (at a minimum) a PC type polisher and possibly even a rotary. Along with a polishing compound. Start with your most gentle product and see if it corrects the problem. If not work up to a more aggressive compound as required to eliminate the rub marks.

Always start out with the least aggressive method and work toward the more aggressive. Doing a small test area first, of course.

If you only want to cover up the marks you might try a glaze. The glaze will give you a shinier surface and possibly cover up the marks and minor swirls. At least until you wash the car again. The benefit is it's non aggressive and much easier. But it's really not addressing the problem.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    I will guess that the cover was on the car while it was parked outside and the wind was able to move the cover around causing the marks.

The only way to actually remove the marks (as compared to covering them up for a while) is to polish the surface with a compound until the surface has had the marred surface removed, exposing new clear (or paint if single stage).

You will need to use (at a minimum) a PC type polisher and possibly even a rotary. Along with a polishing compound. Start with your most gentle product and see if it corrects the problem. If not work up to a more aggressive compound as required to eliminate the rub marks.

Always start out with the least aggressive method and work toward the more aggressive. Doing a small test area first, of course.

If you only want to cover up the marks you might try a glaze. The glaze will give you a shinier surface and possibly cover up the marks and minor swirls. At least until you wash the car again. The benefit is it's non aggressive and much easier. But it's really not addressing the problem.
    Thanks Oldmodman...I read your post right after you posted it and forgot to thank you then. It has been a busy several weeks since then and I apologize for the late reply and thank you. Excuse my ignorance...but what is a "PC" polisher. I have a rotary one. Also what polishing compound (least aggressive) would you suggest for me?

Lastly, I also have to figure what do with the cover. It is a Stormweave product from California Car Covers. I like the cover very much and it is a good product but the seams on the underside are killers...even when I securely fasten the cover with bungee cords from front to rear and side to side! I had the thought of trying to place micro-fiber cloths over the seams on the underside of the cover, where the marks are made on the fenders...but I am not sure how to keep the cloths in place? My other thought was to buy another seamless cover to put underneath the one I have, but was unsure if that was a good idea as it might trap moisture, dirt and other stuff between the two covers and also on the car surface. Any thoughts on how to prevent further chaffing if I can get the existing marks off the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Why not put a quality sealant or coating on it, and just quit jacking around with the cover?

Post Thanks / Like

car covers are the worst, you will be chasing swirls till the end of time.

Post Thanks / Like

A good AOI will remove the marks left by car covers. My experience. I use a cover so I am not constantly removing bird stuff and pollen.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    A good AOI will remove the marks left by car covers. My experience. I use a cover so I am not constantly removing bird stuff and pollen.
    Excuse my ignorance but what is an "AOI"? I use a car cover because of birds, trees and pollen as well as potential storm damage. I live in an area with fairly frequent thunderstorms (sometimes with hail potential) that can blow in items that can mark the vehicle. I just don't have inside storage for this vehicle otherwise it would be inside...

Post Thanks / Like

AIO. All in one. In my opinion Menzerna 3 in 1 is the best, and then Wolfgang Uber all in one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Hello...this is my first technical request post for information after joining the forum and making an introduction. My question concerns what is the best method to remove chafing marks created by the underside seams of my California Car Cover. I have this installed on my 99 Trans AM. It is a nice cover but the underside has seams that extend down over the front and rear fenders which create chafing marks on the paint.

Would swirl remover do they job, and if so, what brand would you recommend? Or does it take something more aggressive? Lastly, I need to find a solution for preventing this from happening in the future? Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks!
    Greetings, not sure if this will help. CoverCraft address's this problem by covering the seams with a material that prevents this problem. Or at least is supposed to minimize it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBJR View Post
    Greetings, not sure if this will help. CoverCraft address's this problem by covering the seams with a material that prevents this problem. Or at least is supposed to minimize it.
    On the CoverCraft products, is that a "patch" type product that you can by and put on an existing cover to cover the seams or do you have to buy a whole new cover from them with the seams already covered? Thanks!