autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimate Compound as window cleaner.?

To be continued when I get home. Worth the wait.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultimate Compound as window cleaner.?

Hmmm never tried using UC as a glass cleaner... I have used zaino glass polish before with great success

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    To be continued when I get home. Worth the wait.
    why didnt you just wait until you got home to make the thread? im in suspense now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    why didnt you just wait until you got home to make the thread? im in suspense now
    Ill second that thought

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the tease, I wasn't home, when I tested a theory and couldn't write it up then. Well, after reading Mike Phillips' article:

Remove the Glare Where You Stare

He uses Griot's Garage Glass Polish, which I don't have, so I asked if Ultimate Polish would work. He said he thought it would, but was semi-concerned about the polishing oils in the UP, but said the alcohol in glass cleaners should remove them. Well, I thought that Ultimate Compound should have fewer oils, so I used it.

You'll need at least 2 mf cloths and 1 terry cloth towel (mf is optional), Ultimate Compound, Glass Cleaner (I used Invisible Glass) and water.

I used an old, thinning mf cloth, soaked it in water an wrung it out really well so it was only damp and applied a small amount of UC on the cloth and applied it to the inside windshield of my wife's Explorer (it has NASTY windows), wax-on wax-off style, straight lines, back & forth, up & down, etc.just to make sure I got all of the glass .... I used a water-dampened cloth to help 'cut' or 'remove the oils from the equation.' It seemed to have worked.

Since it was cold and muggy today, I had the defroster on to help the glass dry. Then I took the terry towel and buffed off all the UC & water off the glass. Then a light misting of Invisible Glass, followed by a good buff and I was done.

The glass was perfectly clear, no smears, nothing.

Now, I can't be COMPLETELY sure it worked as good as it seems so far, being that I haven't had anything to glare back at me on the glass (headlights, streetlights, sun glare etc), but I do believe this might be yet another option for glass cleaning.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the tease, I wasn't home, when I tested a theory and couldn't write it up then. Well, after reading Mike Phillips' article:

Remove the Glare Where You Stare

He uses Griot's Garage Glass Polish, which I don't have, so I asked if Ultimate Polish would work. He said he thought it would, but was semi-concerned about the polishing oils in the UP, but said the alcohol in glass cleaners should remove them. Well, I thought that Ultimate Compound should have fewer oils, so I used it.

You'll need at least 2 mf cloths and 1 terry cloth towel (mf is optional), Ultimate Compound, Glass Cleaner (I used Invisible Glass) and water.

I used an old, thinning mf cloth, soaked it in water an wrung it out really well so it was only damp and applied a small amount of UC on the cloth and applied it to the inside windshield of my wife's Explorer (it has NASTY windows), wax-on wax-off style, straight lines, back & forth, up & down, etc.just to make sure I got all of the glass .... I used a water-dampened cloth to help 'cut' or 'remove the oils from the equation.' It seemed to have worked.

Since it was cold and muggy today, I had the defroster on to help the glass dry. Then I took the terry towel and buffed off all the UC & water off the glass. Then a light misting of Invisible Glass, followed by a good buff and I was done.

The glass was perfectly clear, no smears, nothing.

Now, I can't be COMPLETELY sure it worked as good as it seems so far, being that I haven't had anything to glare back at me on the glass (headlights, streetlights, sun glare etc), but I do believe this might be yet another option for glass cleaning.

Well go drive it now. IT's dark out.....

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool! I usually use a Nanoskin Blue bar and clean the windows and then add Menzerna Powerlock sealant. So far works great. But curious to hear your results soon! Happy New Year!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Well go drive it now. IT's dark out.....
    I would, but it's close to my bed time

Hopefully tomorrow will be decent, so after work I can do the windows on the Camaro, since I drive it to work early in the morning & get plenty of glare-producing opportunities.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used Ultimate Compound as a window cleaner for years and have seen no ill effects from it. The compound does a great job of removing stubborn water spots on the windows. Once I remove the compound with a microfiber towel, I finish off the process with a good window cleaner (I use Invisible Glass).

Post Thanks / Like

the inside windshield of my wife's
    Explorer (it has NASTY windows)
    Meguiar's M04 will work wonders in
    cleaning-up that type of auto-glass;
    and will leave way less Trade Secret
    oil(s) behind---than does UC---IMO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast