autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Recommendations?

My car been sitting outside for 5 years without a proper wash. We have snow and salt on the roads for about half of the year, and I will not have a garage in the future.

1. What soap would you guys recommend for my initial wash?

2. For this job would I be best to use a clay bar or clay sponge?

3. What would be better, a sealant or a coating afterwards?

4. What OTC drying towels would you guys recommend?

Thanks a ton.

P.S. You guys are a bad influence on me! I blew a couple hundred dollars on supplies today...how deep will this rabbit hole go

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Recommendations?

I like CG Citrus Wash and Gloss (can dilute to different concentrations depending on job).
    I would use a nanoskin...so much easier than clay.
    I have no experience with coatings so can't comment intelligently.
    I wouldn't use an OTC towel. Towels are one area not to skimp on. I personally like the Guzzler WW,

Post Thanks / Like

My question would be, "what suppies/products did you just buy with your $200"? Most any type of soap with do fine. Might need to supplement it with some bug squash from poor boys to get the bug splatter, tar , etc off a little easier. I've never used a clay sponge, but have used clay bars many times with great success. If you aren't going to have a garage and only get around to washing once every five years , I would definitely go with a coating. Best of luck to you and let us know how it comes out!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

The sponge I have is the nanoskin speedy prep sponge. Is this fine?? I'll pick up a good drying towel today then too.

I bought a full grit guard set up, a gallon of optimum, ironX, a speedy prep sponge and I think a couple other things. The only things I need as far as I know is a shampoo for stripping and stubborn washes, a good sealant/coating and possibly a cleaner wax.

IF this turns out good I'll post some before and after pics. Also if my vehicle is still clean when I return from the wash stations (the side skirts and wheel wells are always covered in dust and road grime by the time I get home), I'll definitely have the motivation to not let it sit and rot away.

Any other suggestions are appreciated, as I'm going back to the store to stock up again in a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

I like and use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Red (or wash & gloss too)
    I have never spent the money on the clay towels so I dont know personally
    I would go with the Duragloss Coating (since you are saying its going to sit outside all the time) Duragloss only cause its less expensive, but coating for sure either way
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Canehdian;1258825]My car been sitting outside for 5 years without a proper wash. We have snow and salt on the roads for about half of the year, and I will not have a garage in the future.

1. What soap would you guys recommend for my initial wash? Honestly any soap will do even some cheap car wash soap fron wm (you're going to clay anyway)

2. For this job would I be best to use a clay bar or clay sponge? Clay towel medium for the 5yrs of neglect

3. What would be better, a sealant or a coating afterwards? Im a Collonite845 fan so 2 coats

4. What OTC drying towels would you guys recommend? Like mentioned super important to spend $$ on some good towels (at least 1)
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys!

Does anyone know what the Chemical Guys Premium Grade MF towels (MIC50612) GSM or quality is like?

Post Thanks / Like

For the soap, I would get a better soap for general use (clean, rinse, etc) and then get a wash booster such as PB's Bug Squash or DP Road Kill Remover.

This way you end up two products you can use in future. CG CW&G can be a maintenance wash but it separates so it needs to be shaken. I think there better soaps out there - Meg's Hyperwash, Optimum, PB SSS, Ultima, etc.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep that in mind about the wash booster. I ended up settling on Optimum for my regular jobs and Carpro Reset for my dirtier jobs.

Sorry to ask again, but does anybody know what GSM the orange Chemical Guys Professional Grade microfiber towels (mic50612)?

And how about the quality?

Thanks