autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a wheel cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    This should be sticky ^^
    Not really. Because once you shoot #1 in the head the rest die with it.

A lot, and I mean a LOT of todays performance cars come with very dusty pads. The Focus ST is a prime example. All of the people that have tried ceramics, EBC's, Hawks, etc all say that braking performance is degraded. So you live with dusty wheels. I'm sure the new Mustang's aren't much different.

If you're driving Mom's Camry fine, have at it. Some of us like our performance cars to stay performance cars. .

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the CG Diablo and 3D yellow rim/tire degresor. For the price you pay for the Diablo, IMO is not worth it. The 3D yellow cleaner is about $12-$14 for a gallon and can be diluted 1-4 for heavy duty cleaning. It doesn't have that color change perk but it gets the job done without breaking the bank. My DD has been getting washed once a week, I can probably get by with just soap and water but since it's cheap, I spray it down just for fun.

I've also used this product on 2 recent details both with very dirty wheels and it cleaned it up very well.

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, I agree with the other posters about using car wash soap. I do this most of the time, but my wheels also don't get very dirty. I haven't tried a coat in yet, but I will.

As for specific cleaners, I have experience with Sonax and Chemical Guys Diablo. I'm not paying the price for Sonax, but CG Diablo seems very reasonable when diluted per the directions. It works well and smells good, too!

Next on my list to try is the Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner.
    - Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Sonax, but, I don't use it very often. It is just way too expensive for every week washes. I like eagle 1 A to Z. It is cheap and works well. I spray onto the wheel that is a bit wet. I also spray a quarter spray onto the brush. My Focus ST wheels that get so dusty so fast come out looking new. In a block they will be black again, but they come clean.
    I also have a few coats of a wheel sealant on them, I think that helps.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post

A lot, and I mean a LOT of todays performance cars come with very dusty pads. The Focus ST is a prime example. All of the people that have tried ceramics, EBC's, Hawks, etc all say that braking performance is degraded. So you live with dusty wheels. I'm sure the new Mustang's aren't much different.

If you're driving Mom's Camry fine, have at it. Some of us like our performance cars to stay performance cars. .

Dunno about others, but I'm not driving a Camry either. The ceramics work fine on my BMW M for the street. I've been running them for years. The initial bite may be a little less - but that is about it. It's a very subtle difference compared to the the BMW pads.

What's not subtle is the amount of dust and how clean the wheels stay. I'm running PBR/Repko ceramics and they make zero dust. It's an amazing contrast compared to the BMW factory pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post

Another alternative will be to clean them as many times as possible and not to sacrifice the performance on brake.
    With that said, car soap is all that needed.
    Frequent wheel care is easy wheel care ^^

Post Thanks / Like

I use Sonax, and have purchased it when the price has been right. My next step is getting the 5L.

I'm going to wait for a 15-20% off special and split it with my neighbor. That will equate to 2.5L for $40 or so. It sure beats $15 for 16.9 oz.

When you go that route, it's not so bad. It is also not a wheel cleaner that you need to use every time you wash the car. If your wheels are really dirty to begin with, you would do it more often, but once you get them clean, maintaining them is much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

If brake dust has never been allowed to bake into your wheels then there is no need to use an iron neutralizing cleaner every time. I regularly use Optimum Power Clean and or LATA on dirtier wheels. If either of those cleaners aren't an option for you then you can't go wrong with Eagle1 AtoZ wheel cleaner and or Meg's cleaners. That said, even with ceramic pads, if you still steel rotors then you will probably still accumulate some iron deposit on the wheels and vehicles' finishes over time. So doing an initial decontamination and maintaining a sealant or coating on the finishes is probably the most economical option until the brakes need servicing.
    I use Poorboy's World wheel sealant and can wipe my wheels clean after weeks of heavy driving. I am currently running EBC Green Stuff pads and EBC Ultimax slotted rotors on my S10 and they don't dust as bad as some setups but, way worse than ceramic pads, as far as I've seen. I guess to really decide you have to figure what your brake performance requirements are and what options are available for your vehicles to meet said requirements while having limited dusting. Also, if your pads still have plenty of life then you need to decide which is more cost effective at this point; new pads or some cleaner and sealant or coating?... That said I would coat the wheels at the time of changing the pads/brakes just for ease of cleaning/maintaining the into the future. To each his own.
    I just got some of the new Sonax wheel cleaner plus and it starts working as fast as IronX but, has a longer dwell time. As soon as it comes in a 5 litter container I will purchase it. For wheels that need a deep clean and decon, it's worth it for me. It also required minimal agitation on some fairly dirty MB wheels, and rejuvenated the shine beyond what I was expecting, which made me and the client happy. But for general cleaning and maintaining I prefer just doing a water-less wash wipe down and or a traditional cleaning using OPC.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Honestly, I'm going to give you some advice most people here probably won't give you. But it's the easiest way to go about this.

First, I'm guessing you have dirty wheels. Dirty wheels = high dust brake pads. Change your brake pads to ceramic pads. No more dust issues. This is cheap and easy to do.

Second, coat your wheels with some spray type coating: Permanon / Hydro2

Third, buy some quality wheel cleaning tools from AG.

Fourth, clean your wheels with car wash soap.

....Either that, or be prepared to buy bottles of wheel cleaner for like fifteen bucks each and be prepared to buy a lot of them and spend a lot of time cleaning wheels.
    This is really the best thing.

Buying wheel cleaner gets expensive after a while.

At work we use DUB, Sonax, and when wheels aren't too bad, S100 wheel cleaner.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast