autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

reaching hard to reach areas

So as im getting everything going for my business setup i been of course detailing my truck and what a pita the roof hood and front window is (Escalade). So, i Dont want to be out and get a large vehicle and unable to reach without ease. So what are you other mobile units doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: reaching hard to reach areas

From a practical standpoint, you could use a brush on the windshield and roof - it should not scratch glass and no one would ever see any scratches on the roof; obviously this is not in keeping with standard AGO practice.

Many people have the Werner work platform. It's pretty small and gives you another 20"+/- of height.

Post Thanks / Like

I use two of the work platforms. That way I don't have to move it from side to side. I set up one on each side.Has worked well for me so far. I do have to move it a couple of times to do my daughter's XC90.

Walter
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I use a very soft brush on a long handle to wash the hard to reach spots on our SUV. However while at WalMart recently, I noticed they are now selling those same long handles, but with a MF chenille wash mitt attachment instead of a brush. That would be idea for this scenario.

As for polishing and waxing, a platform or a short step ladder is going to be your only bet. They are much more stable, then trying to stand in an open door of the vehicle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    From a practical standpoint, you could use a brush on the windshield and roof - it should not scratch glass and no one would ever see any scratches on the roof; obviously this is not in keeping with standard AGO practice.

Many people have the Werner work platform. It's pretty small and gives you another 20"+/- of height.
    Quote Originally Posted by whavens View Post
    I use two of the work platforms. That way I don't have to move it from side to side. I set up one on each side.Has worked well for me so far. I do have to move it a couple of times to do my daughter's XC90.

Walter
    where do you get the platforms? i'll go and check those brushes at wal mart for the time being. anyone have experience with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Used a platform when I did a truck recently. Got it from costco. Worked very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have this, which is very high quality: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-platform.html I'm relatively short though; I wish it was even taller. Sometime I think I would like to have a folding mini scaffold.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Werner adjustable ladder but, most of the time I step up onto the tires and or running boards to reach. This allows me to reach the majority of the roof and all of the windshield, and also gives me a bird's eye view of the hood without worrying about a ladder or bucket kicking out from under me. Only a couple clients have ever asked if I could use a ladder rather than stand on their tires. I've actually had more issues with my ladder than standing on tires. Either way you have to use caution. For reaching the middle/center of the roof I will use the ladder if I can't reach well enough from the running boards or door thresholds, or if I vehicle is lacking running boards or I am concerned about damaging the thresholds by standing on them. Either way opening the doors can help you reach the roof better and mitigates possible damage to the doors.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

The McScrooges here also use this one, which frequently goes on sale. A week after you buy it which was the case for me! It helps, but i can just get to the center of the roof on our van.

Werner 39-1/2 in. x 12 in. x 20-9/16 in. Aluminum Work Platform-AP-20 - The Home Depot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast