autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Still filthy after power wash/foam cannon

The pressure washer and foam cannon should work in conjunction to remove large abrasive material from the surface of the paint. The paint will not look clean, but all that will be left behind is very fine dust and residue that can be remove via typical wash methods without damaging the paint (it's too small/fine to leave visible scratches). When you don't use a pressure washer sand, dirt, and grit is on the paint when you start washing by hand, and even with a two bucket method you're still rubbing the debris into the paint as you clean.

A good pressure washing before any physical washing is the only way to perform a true scratch-free wash. This in conjunction with air drying instead of a towel or squeegee can keep paint in near-perfect condition for years.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, I have been skipping the second step it appears. Luckily, its been raining for 3 months straight and the cars haven't really been washed since fall so I have done that much damage.

I will update my methods and post back if there are still issues.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a place now with no pressure washer, so I can attest to it being possible to do a fine job without one, it's just a lot more difficult. I wash from the top to the bottom, and I use a separate wash mitt for the upper 2/3 of the vehicle than I do for the bottom 1/3. I use my tire brush to go underneath the bottom edges of the body panels since that's where the most grime seems to accumulate.

Post Thanks / Like

To remove very fine particles you need a light mechanical touch to remove them. This can be as gentle as a plush microfiber wiping the surface. A product like Optimum Power Clean does a great job of loosening dirt and allowing most of it to be rinsed off. Yet it's always going to me most effective to wipe the surface to remove all the particles. The chemicals and amount of pressure required to remove particles without touching the surface can be more damaging over time than beneficial; including the human and the vehicle. And the amount of water, and time, required/used usually far exceeds a water-less and or rinse-less washing method, and won't preserve the protection/finish as well as the later two either.
    I would recommend using a product like CarPro's IronX Snow Soap and or pre-treating with OPC, then doing a rinse-less or water-less wash.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12